Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decided to put the sub from my old caddy into the G6. I ran my remote power wire from the fuse box inside the car to the trunk but didn't have any way to test which wires are switched with the ignition. Anyone here that has put an amp in know which ones are switched with the ignition? Any info would be appreciated as it will save me a few minutes tomorrow when I finish installing everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Just hypothetical but............

There are quite a few ignition circuits - closest one is in the rear electrical center on driver side of trunk. However what you would likely want to get the best "power moding" would be the same circuit used on factory system to turn on the amplifier. Since this is fed directly from radio is doesn't much output capability - just can be used as a "logic input".

So that if that sounds like a match then you will find it going up the right side "C" pillar in body harness along with your AM/FM coax cable to the rear antenna amplifier. which is mounted above the rear glass. I think it is a pink wire.

The ignition circuit in rear electrical center is a yellow circuit. I think in black connector cavity F2. It is used for sunroof and heated seat as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
e2helper said:
Just hypothetical but............

There are quite a few ignition circuits - closest one is in the rear electrical center on driver side of trunk. However what you would likely want to get the best "power moding" would be the same circuit used on factory system to turn on the amplifier. Since this is fed directly from radio is doesn't much output capability - just can be used as a "logic input".

So that if that sounds like a match then you will find it going up the right side "C" pillar in body harness along with your AM/FM coax cable to the rear antenna amplifier. which is mounted above the rear glass. I think it is a pink wire.

The ignition circuit in rear electrical center is a yellow circuit. I think in black connector cavity F2. It is used for sunroof and heated seat as well.
Hmmm....ill have to look into that last one. I seen the fuse for the roof/heated seats in the center console box. It's a 10A fuse...yet I have neither of those options :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Even though you have neither of those options the yellow wire will be in rear fuse center. There actually isn't a fuse back there, the power feed starts from the center console fuse you found and passes through the rear electrical center to go to the headliner harness. However in your case the wire stops at that point since no sunroof. That would make it easy to use that wire since it doesn't need to go there.

However the pink wire would be your best choice for following reason: Notice how when you turn the car off that the radio continues to play for up to 10 minutes? Either wire would provide you with that function.

However have you also noticed that if any door other than the driver's opens the radio continues playing? Only the pink wire would give you that functionality. The yellow wire would lose power immediately when ANY door is opened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
G6~Mike said:
So today I decided to put the sub from my old caddy into the G6. I ran my remote power wire from the fuse box inside the car to the trunk but didn't have any way to test which wires are switched with the ignition. Anyone here that has put an amp in know which ones are switched with the ignition? Any info would be appreciated as it will save me a few minutes tomorrow when I finish installing everything.
Do you have a aftermarket deck? If so there should be a remote turn on on your deck. Other than that just get a multimeter and start looking for 12V switched.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
e2helper said:
Even though you have neither of those options the yellow wire will be in rear fuse center. There actually isn't a fuse back there, the power feed starts from the center console fuse you found and passes through the rear electrical center to go to the headliner harness. However in your case the wire stops at that point since no sunroof. That would make it easy to use that wire since it doesn't need to go there.

However the pink wire would be your best choice for following reason: Notice how when you turn the car off that the radio continues to play for up to 10 minutes? Either wire would provide you with that function.

However have you also noticed that if any door other than the driver's opens the radio continues playing? Only the pink wire would give you that functionality. The yellow wire would lose power immediately when ANY door is opened.
Thx, ill prolly just use the yellow wire as I dont care if the amp stays on once the car is off.

eatech3: no, i'm going to use the stock head unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought one of those "add-a-circuit" deals from autozone and plugged it into the roof/heatedseat fuse socket in the center console. It kills the power to the amp when the key is in the off position but powers up in ACC mode.
Nice thing about those is that you dont have to screw around splicing wires.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top