Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a remote start issue for some time. If I follow the usual procedure and Press <Lock> followed by <Start> within a few seconds I would get a panic like alarm with the lamps flashing and the horn honking.

The work-a-round for this has been to press and hold <lock> and with <lock> still held down, press <start> followed by releasing <lock> then <start>. With this the car would start remotely although a little more dexterity was needed.

The Fix has been to clear and reprogram the key fobs using a Tech2 (see this link for the steps if you have access to a Tech2)

Hope the work-a-round proves useful until you can reprogram.

·
08 convertible
243 Posts
And a piece of advice for users of the remote start function: check with your local police.

Many municipalities have ordinances that make it illegal to have your car running unattended. Just read a short time ago about police giving tickets in one town.

·
Registered
17 Posts
And a piece of advice for users of the remote start function: check with your local police.

Many municipalities have ordinances that make it illegal to have your car running unattended. Just read a short time ago about police giving tickets in one town.
Reviving a zombie thread, again... LOL

Police are apparently intentionally ignoring the difference between cars that are left running unlocked, with the keys in, and newer cars with remote start that are no easier to steal with the engine running than they are while simply parked. Action groups are attempting to address this ignorance, but it may take years to get it resolved nationally.

·
08 convertible
243 Posts
No, police are enforcing those ordinances based on the premise that a car left running unattended will invite break-ins. The idea is that thieves are too dumb to know the difference.
I don't know if that's an accurate assessment, but I can tell you that some years ago someone broke into my car overnight in my driveway and tore up a bunch of stuff before figuring out they couldn't start the car without a chip key. So I tend to agree that most thieves are not pros, just dumb.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had a remote start issue for some time. If I follow the usual procedure and Press <Lock> followed by <Start> within a few seconds I would get a panic like alarm with the lamps flashing and the horn honking.

The work-a-round for this has been to press and hold <lock> and with <lock> still held down, press <start> followed by releasing <lock> then <start>. With this the car would start remotely although a little more dexterity was needed.

The Fix has been to clear and reprogram the key fobs using a Tech2 (see this link for the steps if you have access to a Tech2)

Hope the work-a-round proves useful until you can reprogram.
Is there any explanation for why the car just.., stops allowing remote start using the normal method? I literally just got my new fob programmed with a Tech2, and within 2-3 weeks it's now not letting me remote start it and goes into panic mode. I haven't tested the hold and hold trick yet, I will tomorrow, but this is kind of odd to me. What causes it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is there any explanation for why the car just.., stops allowing remote start using the normal method? I literally just got my new fob programmed with a Tech2, and within 2-3 weeks it's now not letting me remote start it and goes into panic mode. I haven't tested the hold and hold trick yet, I will tomorrow, but this is kind of odd to me. What causes it?
I tested the hold and hold trick and it doesn't work for me either...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to say that I have no idea why it happened. I can say that since I reprogrammed the remotes it has not happened again (so about 1 year now)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and just in case I did not write it clearly, maybe I should add
The work-a-round for this has been to press and hold <lock> and with <lock> still held down, press <start> followed by releasing <lock> so you are left with the <start> button pressed for until the engine starts (I think it was something like 5 seconds).
When I wrote the original it was clear in my head, but perhaps not so much now I read it again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So, I had tried the <lock> <lock> <Start> and it gives me the flashers. When I tried the <lock>(Hold) <Start>(hold) <lock>(Release) it never did anything at all. So, maybe my fob got all screwed up, i dunno. I'm going to be buying the Dorman programmer and reprogramming the one i have and the one it comes with and hoping they stay working this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts