Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Remote start glitch

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  zwickt 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm brand new here, as I just bought a G6 on saturday. So far I love the car. Just had a quick question though......

Has anyone had any issues with remote start on their G6? I only ask because last night I tried it 3 times when I was walking to my car when leaving work, only thing it would do was flash the parking lights at me as if I was just hitting the lock button.

However, when I got home, I figured I would try it again, and sure enough it worked just fine. This morning it worked just fine too. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
ensure your pressing the right combo.

you need to lock twice, then hold start for what? 3 seconds?

i notice sometimes my button may not work so to be safe i just press lock 5 slow and steady times, then hold start for 5 seconds.

to test it just try standing beside and when u press lock...do you hear the lock in door click? - do that 2-3 times, then hold start.im assuming this is the stock starter and not an after market one.

#3 ·
Yep, it's the stock starter. Back of the remote says to just hit lock button once and then hold start button for two seconds (i usually hold it for almost five seconds). But I will try what you said if it gives me any more trouble. People nearby may think I don't know how to operate my remote when the car keeps honking after multiple lock-button presses, but who cares what they think, lol

#4 ·
Hit the lock button then hold start 2-3 secs. If it doesn't start just hit lock again quick and retry. Sometimes mine doesn't start first try for whatever reason...

#5 ·
i do; lock 2 second hold, start 3 second hold.

Also any kind of CEL will disable the remote start. I modified my CRAB intake so once in a while i get a CEL cause the engine did not heat up enough (I run at about 150-175^ F) but after I let it sit to 200^F the code goes away or if I clear it. Maybe you had something similar issue.

#7 ·
not sure if this is your problem -- but you can only use remote start 2 times per "cycle" -- a cycle being getting in and driving the car.

if you try more, this is what happens
remote start 1 - car starts
remote start 2 - car starts
remote start 3 - nothing.
get in start car with key
remote start works again.

It's in the manual somewhere... probably explained in better words...

If you were showing off remoe start, or if you could have possibly mashed the buttons inside your pocket, this could be your issue.

I'm assuming you elimnated range/distance as the cause....

#8 ·
The code is P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Only comes up if I start the car and take off, if its cold out side (40^F and less) and on the high way it never gets to the 195^F operating temp and I get the code.

#10 ·
Remote Start

I have a 2007 with 23 k miles. Am having problems with cruise control and remote start not working when its below 20 F. Going to dealer tomorrow. Dealer said if problem is with cruise the remote start will not work either. A check engine light being on will do the same thing. He said he hadn't heard of any other complaints like this. But I've heard other stories similar to this.

#11 ·
I've had it not start for me as well - usually in cold weather but a 2nd or 3rd try will get it to come on for me. I also agree it will run two times 5-10 min per cycle.

#12 ·
Check to make sure everything else is working properly. I discovered that the auto door locks didn't lock when I moved the shifter into drive and didn't open when moved back to park. The cruise did not work, the remote start wouldn't work and the transmission did not shift smoothly. After 3 trips to the dealer they found a (TSB) technical service bulletin that told them to reflash the (ECM) computer. Completed this last week and issue was resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.