Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 GTP coupe didnt come with the factory remote start. I see its available for $195 as an accessory from the dealer. Has anyone added it to their car? Simple plug and play? What kind of range do they have? thanks, Roy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on when the car was built. While looking for one, I saw the remote option for $150 and $180. The $1550 sunroof package on my car is $1650 on others.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Range i pretty good as long as you aren't in a garage or anything. I;ve got it to start from probably about 500 feet away in an open parking lot, havent tried from much longer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
a bit off topic, but closely related....
Is the remote start an option with the 6 speed manual on the GTP? The Pontiac website says no, but a salesmen told me that it was. He was an idiot though, so I'm not sure if he was right or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nope, doesnt include installation. I asked today. The kit is estimated at .8-1.0 hours to install. Parts guy says new software has to be loaded and the "scanner" tool has to be used so it's not a do-it-yourself thing. Even so, I might get it installed when they do my paint/fabric protection.
From what I understand, you cant get remote start with a manual transmission. Seems like very bad things would happen if you left it parked in gear!

**few hours later....***

Stopped in at the dealer and asked them to order the kit. The guy looked at me like I had 6 eyes or something. Totally clueless, should be interesting. Theyre going to install it next wednesday while the car is in for Simonizing. Let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
jp375 said:
...is the remote start an option with the 6 speed manual on the GTP? The Pontiac website says no, but a salesmen told me that it was. He was an idiot though, so I'm not sure if he was right or not.
Website is correct and salesman just giving you BS and headaches for service technicians if he promises stuff like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll print a copy out and take it along. Sounds like everything is already installed in the car. Just need the new remotes and a software upgrade.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You don't need one to read the article I provided link to - otherwise I wouldn't have posted it :p

As far as how to get an ID/password - I don't have one but I do know how to get one - just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is technically illegal to have a remote start with a MT. It can be done and I have done it but if it got left in gear then there would be some real problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Smockonallama said:
It is technically illegal to have a remote start with a MT. It can be done and I have done it but if it got left in gear then there would be some real problems.
Thats sort of what I figured, that Pontiac doesn't do it from a liability standpoint. Funny though, I've seen lots of aftermarket shops do it. I believe the system checks if the car is in neutral before it will start the vehicle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I own a 6 speed and to remove the KEY the shifter has to be on REVERSE. Otherwise can't get the key out. How can you go over that situation ???? Thanks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, dropped the car off this morning. They called in the afternoon and said the sealant was done but my car isnt set up for remote start. The manual says if the keyless entry has a "+" on the back, the car is pre-wired. I have the "+". The GM Techlink says the car has to have RPO AP8 installed. Where can I find if my car acutally has it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
You have a 2006 model with auto trans, correct? Manual trans wouldn't have ability for remote start even though the key fobs on those have the "+" also. I know you wouldn't have a 2005 because the 2005 (and early 2006) didn't have key fobs with "+"

The "+" actually indicates "Extended Range" but that change was implemented at the same time that vehicles were built "remote start ready". The final thing you could take a look at would be open your hood and take a close look at the hood latch on the body. Do you see a black plastic hood switch attached to back of latch? That is also required for a vehicle to have remote start and it was also added to vehicle to facilitate adding feature.

The AP8 option isn't going to show up on information that the dealer has available on your vehicle because it is base configuration for all but 4 cylinder model - some of those are built without any keyless entry system on them.

So dealer might be a bit confused and, gee, you are paying money for this anyways so seems like they would want to help.

I know you likely looked at Techlink article but what the dealer gets with this kit is 2 new key fobs (with remote start button), a special code which allows them to call their Techline call center to get authorization to enable remote start in the body computer in your vehicle (their service tool is unable to enable remote start without that download - something they call a "VCI number") and a sticker to put in your vehicle indicating that they installed the remote start kit so that later service folks know your vehicle is supposed to have feature and someone doesn't later inadvertently disable feature. This could happen if a technician later swapped out the body control module in your vehicle because a new one would also have to be configured via similar download to enable remote start.

As you can see they really don't have to do any disassembly of vehicle to enable feature. Again, they likely would need both of your original key fobs so that when they program the new ones they can also reprogram old ones so that you have 4 functional fobs for your vehicle (you ARE paying for them - so they should all work).

Feel free to share this info with dealer - believe me when I tell you I know quite a bit about how this all works ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
e2helper said:
You have a 2006 model with auto trans, correct? Manual trans wouldn't have ability for remote start even though the key fobs on those have the "+" also. I know you wouldn't have a 2005 because the 2005 (and early 2006) didn't have key fobs with "+"

The "+" actually indicates "Extended Range" but that change was implemented at the same time that vehicles were built "remote start ready". The final thing you could take a look at would be open your hood and take a close look at the hood latch on the body. Do you see a black plastic hood switch attached to back of latch? That is also required for a vehicle to have remote start and it was also added to vehicle to facilitate adding feature.

The AP8 option isn't going to show up on information that the dealer has available on your vehicle because it is base configuration for all but 4 cylinder model - some of those are built without any keyless entry system on them.

So dealer might be a bit confused and, gee, you are paying money for this anyways so seems like they would want to help.

I know you likely looked at Techlink article but what the dealer gets with this kit is 2 new key fobs (with remote start button), a special code which allows them to call their Techline call center to get authorization to enable remote start in the body computer in your vehicle (their service tool is unable to enable remote start without that download - something they call a "VCI number") and a sticker to put in your vehicle indicating that they installed the remote start kit so that later service folks know your vehicle is supposed to have feature and someone doesn't later inadvertently disable feature. This could happen if a technician later swapped out the body control module in your vehicle because a new one would also have to be configured via similar download to enable remote start.

As you can see they really don't have to do any disassembly of vehicle to enable feature. Again, they likely would need both of your original key fobs so that when they program the new ones they can also reprogram old ones so that you have 4 functional fobs for your vehicle (you ARE paying for them - so they should all work).

Feel free to share this info with dealer - believe me when I tell you I know quite a bit about how this all works ;)
i am purchasing a 1SV G6 next week. is it likely that it's not pre-set to accept remote start? if so, am i going to have to go aftermarket, or will i just need to find the harnesses/components to enable the installation? the parts have to be available somewhere if it's an option...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Vita,

You are buying a 4 cylinder? The question will be whether the vehicle you are ordering has keyless entry feature or not. According to Pontiac.com there is a Cruise Control and Keyless entry package option on 4 cylinder which would need to be on your vehicle. It doesn't look to be part of the 1SV package. If you are ordering a V6 then no problem since all of the 6 cylinders come with keyless entry standard.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts