Pontiac G6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
e2helper said:
You have a 2006 model with auto trans, correct?
Yes

The final thing you could take a look at would be open your hood and take a close look at the hood latch on the body. Do you see a black plastic hood switch attached to back of latch?
Check this picture out...
http://userweb.suscom.net/~paroyboy/switch.jpg
I believe the red arrow points to the switch you mentioned and the blue arrow pointing to the wires connected to it.
If that is the hood switch, the car "should" be remote start ready, right?

·
Registered
279 Posts
paroyboy,

You are correct the arrows point to hood switch and wiring. So your vehicle is "remote start ready". All dealer needs to do is order kit containing stuff I mentioned in last message. If I can find the part number of that kit for your vechicle I will post back -

But it is something only dealer can do because it requires reconfiguration of BCM in your vehicle.

EDIT -

Part Number 17800737 List $195 (as someone else posted)
TRANSMITTER PKG,REM START & R/CON DR LK (INSTALL .6 HR) (INCLS SPID LABEL,IDENT TAG & INSTR)
(REQ SERV PROGRAMMING SYS AND SCAN TOOL W/PASS-THRU PROGRAMMING CAPABILITY (SOFTWARE ONLY AVAIL THRU TCSC)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks. I'll go back to the dealer today "armed" with this info. Maybe I'll get free labor for the hassle. Yeah, right! Thanks again

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good luck on that ;) - most of the cost is for labor - but you did do a bunch of legwork for them.

If it doesn't work dealer needs to call their Technical Assistance Center -- the consultants there will confirm what you are telling dealer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
do you happen to know details on ordering the dealer service manuals that would include the i4 (2006+)?

with it in hand, i could find out all parts necessary to enable remote start/keyless entry for G6's that are not pre-enabled from the factory. i'm sure it's a wire harness or two, on top of the other parts mentioned.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Vita said:
do you happen to know details on ordering the dealer service manuals that would include the i4 (2006+)?

with it in hand, i could find out all parts necessary to enable remote start/keyless entry for G6's that are not pre-enabled from the factory. i'm sure it's a wire harness or two, on top of the other parts mentioned.
You would not be able to enable remote start on your own.

There are no additional wiring harnesses required if the vehicle you order has basic keyless entry. If the vehicle you order doesn't have keyless entry then dealer wouldn't be able to upgrade it to remote start without replacing several things which would be pretty expensive.

Ordering service manual is piece of cake but it looks like it isn't available in paper format yet. They are expensive ($135) Helm Inc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, still no luck with the service dept. I took a copy of the posts in along with the pic showing the hood latch. He still says that GM says I need AP8 in the car and the only "A" codes I have are AK5 and A51 which I think refers to airbags and seats. I told him I think that AP8 is standard in the 06 models and he basically brushed it off. Do I try another dealer or is this one correct that I cant get it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The guy was an idiot for not listening to you. I guess you might have to try another dealer or call the Customer Assistance Center whose number is in your owner manual.

Would you mind mentioning the dealer you are working with? I will also pass along your issue to a few interested parties who might be able to put some additional clarifying information out to dealers on this subject - it won't help you out but maybe others down the road.

Again sorry for your difficulties on this - the remote start is a nice feature, especially to have a factory warranted one which works with existing theft system in vehicle so I hope you eventually do find a dealer who can enable it for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I did e-mail the owners assistance contact on the Pontiac website. The dealer is Jack Giambalvo in York, PA. Maybe its not his fault if the info he has is wrong. Is there a contact he can check with to get the right info on the 06's? I'll wait a few days to hear back from my e-mail to Pontiac, then call the number in the manual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Heres the response I got back from Pontiac....

"Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center. I
appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to the build of your
2006 G6.

In response to your question, I looked up all options with which the
vehicle was built by pulling your vehicle identification number build
sheet. Your vehicle does not have the "AP8" option in the vehicle build.
Therefore, your vehicle does not have the remote start feature. The
remote start feature is not a standard feature on the G6. If you would
like to set your mind at ease or for added confirmation, you can look on
page 2-4 of your owner's manual to view the remote that does include
the auto start feature. I am sorry if the information provided previous
to know was incorrect."

I guess I'll have to give them a call and explain what I meant.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for all the continued info on this - I sent out copies of your posts to several folks so will see what happens - of course many at GM on holiday this week so likely no reponse until next week.

I don't think your dealer ever called the GM Technical Assistance Center on your vehicle from what I can see. That would have been one resource they might have tried to use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Called the 1-800 assistance number this morning and after 35 minutes, I'm still at the same position! Told the guy that the manual says "if you have a "+" on the remote, your car is remote start ready". He said he couldnt find any documentation about AP8 being standard now. I told him I thought the AP8 code was for the Extended Range Keyless Entry which I know I have because of the "+". He told me to try a different dealer! I think I will just spend the $200+ on something else!

·
Registered
114 Posts
e2helper said:
You would not be able to enable remote start on your own.

There are no additional wiring harnesses required if the vehicle you order has basic keyless entry. If the vehicle you order doesn't have keyless entry then dealer wouldn't be able to upgrade it to remote start without replacing several things which would be pretty expensive.

Ordering service manual is piece of cake but it looks like it isn't available in paper format yet. They are expensive ($135) Helm Inc
would i be able to find out what components are involved with the keyless entry system?

i understand the dealer has to enable it, that is not the issue. the issue would be finding out what i need to hook it up. i'm still convinced that it's a harness or two that isn't hooked up to the PCM from the factory. keyless entry can be enabled without too much hassle (likely hooking up the receiver), and though it seems like the dealers don't know it, i think adding remote start would too. can't be more than a few harnesses. i don't think they'd need a sensor as they could interpret the signal from the tranny to confirm it's in park/neutral.

the fact that the dealer just has to plug in the tech II to get it enabled on a car that does have it, convinces me that i just have to hook up the receiver via a harness to the PCM, and get it reflashed by the dealer to be enabled. all in all it might be a more economical option to just go aftermarket, but i like the idea of having it installed "factory," even if more costly...

i guess i'll have to do some more work on this, and it might not be bad for me to have the shop manual either...

·
Registered
114 Posts
e2helper said:
Do you know yet if vehicle you are buying has basic remote keyless entry option?
it is not. i am getting the 1SV (bare bones) G6. the dealer said they recently installed a keyless entry for another customer for around $200.

is anyone here a tech for a dealer? it would make a huge difference if we knew exactly what components are involved. the more i think about it, the more i'm convinced that even the harnesses must be present already, regardless of model, and all that is needed is the receiver(s) and a reflash of the system to enable them.

if the 1SV does not come with the harnesses in order to save costs, i'm not convinced that they are not accessible given the proper part numbers. the PCM has to be pre-wired to accept keyless/remote start, as it would be too costly to have entirely different designs just to prevent people from "moving up" from a lower option set.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Vita said:
the PCM has to be pre-wired to accept keyless/remote start, as it would be too costly to have entirely different designs just to prevent people from "moving up" from a lower option set.
Actually the BCM is part you are thinking of and if you order a base vehicle without keyless entry you get a BCM that doesn't support function and likely would have to be replaced to get factory system installed $$

·
Registered
114 Posts
e2helper said:
Actually the BCM is part you are thinking of and if you order a base vehicle without keyless entry you get a BCM that doesn't support function and likely would have to be replaced to get factory system installed $$
so the receiver would be built into the BCM?

seems odd. considering it's got power locks, they're controlled by the BCM, and the BCM should be able to receive the signal to lock/unlock. it seems that you'd only need to add the receiver to send that signal, and would likely have to wire it in, using a harness that pre-exists, or the one left out for the base models...

the only thing that would make any sense would be to produce a BCM that excludes the remote start feature, but why would they bother to produce multiple BCMs that are going to vehicles built on the same line? it would be cheaper for them to just exclude the receiver and flash it with different code. then again, when does GM make too much sense with their decisions.

until it's been shown that there are different part numbers for the BCMs in the 4cyl models, i'm not convinced it can't be done without a total replacement.

even on my saturn, there is an entirely new PCM for the '05+ as opposed to the '04s, and using factory harnesses, we've been able to install the boost guage with adjustable ladder tach. all that was really missing was the harness. in '05 the cars came with the harness tucked away. at first it was thought that '04 model owners were SOL, but after some work a member made it work going by the '05 setups. it should be noted that the boost and RPM are both digital, and go through the PCM/BCM.

what we'd actually need to know are part numbers for anything related to the remote start/keyless entry (i.e., receivers, harnesses, PCM/BCM (would think the PCM is somewhat involved in remote start), even key fobs, etc.). this would let us know if they are indeed different, or just lacking a few components to enable a stock setup. i'm not convinced it's the BCM that doesn't support the function, but rather the code in the flash memory.

it may be a different story with a value car built without power locks/windows, other features, but i have my doubts about the limitations GM has placed on us. they're simply too cheap...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Remote keyless receiver is not in the BCM it is a separate module located on rear shelf between speakers. However that receiver module communicates to the BCM - the BCM does all the actual control.

BCM for vehicle without Remote Keyless option IS a different part number. It lacks the interface circuit to the receiver module and the extra relay used to unlock driver door only when you have remote keyless feature.

You will find this out when you get your vehicle - compare BCM part number to another vehicle. Likely your vehicle with have BCM P/N of 15274601 or older 15272035. BCM compatible with remote keyless has a P/N 1 digit higher.

Of course, a single BCM is used for service. It is uplevel version ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
e2helper said:
Receiver is not in the BCM it is a separate module however it communicates to the BCM which does all the actual control.

BCM for vehicle without Remote Keyless IS a different part number. You will find this out when you get your vehicle ;)
well then the next step is to figure out the actual difference between them (given you are correct in that the BCMs are in fact different).

for all we know the difference could be inclusion of the harnesses or not. or it could be the cobalt/ion BCM and be totally void of the ability.

methinks you've got more knowledge than you'd prefer to release.

i'm also of the conviction that going aftermarket for keyless entry and remote start might well be the cheaper and more convenient option. though what fun is that?

edit: just read your edit... i assume i'm looking at a couple hundred for the BCM alone, so i'm just going to shop around for aftermarket remote start that will enable keyless entry.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts