Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes I can provide more information but under this situation I didn't think it would be of any use. Your thought about replacement BCM cost is correct. I just hate the amount of wiring that aftermarket remote keyless/start systems likely impact and potential for goofing up something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
e2helper said:
Yes I can provide more information but under this situation I didn't think it would be of any use. Your thought about replacement BCM cost is correct. I just hate the amount of wiring that aftermarket remote keyless/start systems likely impact and potential for goofing up something.
yeah. that's why it's going to get done at the dealer. if it was more cost effective, i'd get all components myself, hook 'em up in dealers lot, and push it in to be configured, but i'll just let them deal with it. this car will be a DD for years, so i'd prefer my warranty to be intact.

thanks for the help though!

·
Registered
166 Posts

Well at my local dealer.. there are 2 different type of remote starters available. The one with the LCD screen is either AP3 or AP8 code, and the one without the LCD is a AP8 code. The dealer called the tech line at GM and they said that the LCD one won't work with my 2007 G6, but the one without the LCD will work with my car. Now what i dont understand is that if the remote without the LCD screen which is considered AP8 code will work with my G6, then why wouldn't the one with the LCD screen that has the AP8 code?

·
` Colleen =)
123 Posts

Well at my local dealer.. there are 2 different type of remote starters available. The one with the LCD screen is either AP3 or AP8 code, and the one without the LCD is a AP8 code. The dealer called the tech line at GM and they said that the LCD one won't work with my 2007 G6, but the one without the LCD will work with my car. Now what i dont understand is that if the remote without the LCD screen which is considered AP8 code will work with my G6, then why wouldn't the one with the LCD screen that has the AP8 code?
Hey guys!! I didnt really go through and read all the posts, but I work at a Chev/Buick/Pontiac dealership. I thought the LCD remote was for the G8, and new cars like the Traverse, but im not positive. Some g6's have the remote start already programmed into the car, like the GTs, but the tech's just need to use the computer to actually install it. I have the GT, and it didnt come with the Remote start, so I had the factory remote start installed a week after I bought it for about $236. That included the two remotes (which are about $100 each) and programming and labor. But that included my employee discount.

·
` Colleen =)
123 Posts
Im sorry, i was wrong. I the remote with the LCD screen was for longer distances. Im not sure why it wont work?? Have you tried going to another dealer maybe?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey.. well i figured out whats wrong with the 2007 G6 SE models. Some SE models are programmed with remote starter from factory and some aren't. So for instance my car didn't come with a remote starter but it did come with a keyless entry system. However, if i wanted to upgrade to a remote start (without LCD) it will work. But if i wanted to get the remote starter with the LCD screen it will not work.

The reason behind this is because SE models are not equipped with a command start pre-wiring. The techs needs this pre-wiring so they can add the module that the LCD remote starter comes with. The module will be needed because the LCD remote starter is a 2-way. If you wanted this command start to get installed on your car you can do it. But if you have a bumper to bumper warranty or extended warranty then it will VOID it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey. I have had my remote starter installed (factory) and it works great. I had to get the one without the LCD installed.

It is still covered under the warranty and it does not VOID it ( only if it is installed at a GM dealer).

·
Registered
103 Posts
hey vikz what model g6 you have? and did you ever find the "AP8" code that everyone was saying we need in our cars.i saw you posted about some se models come equipped with RPO AP8 which is a "Remote Starter Prep Package".

·
Registered
166 Posts
hey

I have an 08 G6 SE. Originally when I got my vehicle inquiry system. It did not have the AP8 code. I went to couple of dealers and i called the dealer I bought my G6 from . One of them said not you cannot install it. The other dealer said no at first, but I kept bugging them and the part person said he'll look into it, and called and said it should work only if i get the one without the LCD. SO I went in and they did it for me. If one dealer is giving you problems then call others or go to others. This information is only based on the 07 G6 SE.

·
Registered
103 Posts
well i have an 07 g6 se 3.5 with sports package but never remote start,all the dealers are giving me bs there are only 2 dealers here in Fresno.so guess ill try one more time:banghead:
dealers:axechase:

·
Registered
166 Posts
hey sorry.. I made a mistake in my last post.. I have a 07 G6 SE. Just tell them that you can get the remote starter added on (just the basic one, not the LCD type) and that you have friends that got it without the AP8 showing in their vehicle inquiry system. Tell them to try it and that it won't hurt to try adding the remote starter. If they will, then it should work. Good luck. Let me know of the outcome.

·
Registered
103 Posts
iam gonna try that here in the next few weeks got to get my $$ together then go for it ill let you know what bs or good news i have.

·
Registered
638 Posts
heres some info i found on the pontiac website about this topic and some part numbers and prices.

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Pontiac/2008/G6/Remote Start/?tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm

Wish List Accessory Name Part Number MSRP
Add to list 2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Extended Range Remote Lock Control (AP8) 17802069 $ 250.00

Add to list 2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (AP3) 19156553 $ 150.00

Add to list Factory Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Extended Range Remote Lock Control (AP8), Includes 2 Fobs 17800737 $ 195.00

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installing a after market remote starter on 07 G6 GT

Ok, I have read and read through posts about this topic until my eyes popped out and my question has not been answered.
Has any one attempted to install an after market Remote car starter? If so, any tricks or major problems you encountered? Did you have to get the transponder to bypass the door lock system? I bought a remote system for my 2007 Pontiac G6 GT that may already have one installed but I got it off ebay cheaper than $200 and I can do the manual labor if "allowed".
Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

41 - 60 of 79 Posts