Pontiac G6 Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well i didnt want to attempt to install aftermarket, because i have heard stories how it screws up things in the car. Like the car wont start, dead battery, stereo problems... etc..

I did look into aftermarket, and the one i really wanted was quite expensive. So i didnt think it was worth the money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have an 08 gt with the + on the back of my key fob and above it it says GM/L:15252034 is it going to cost me the 195ish to get the remote start engaged, not that i will use it any, but it adds to resell value down the road u know;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called my dealer and ordered a kit. I have AP8. They guy tried to order it without a vin and it would not let him. I gave him the vin and it then accepted the order. I tried to install an aftermarket unit and it did not go so well. For what this factory item does and for the price, you cannot beat it. It looks like about an hour to install and I spent well over 12 hours with a multimeter trying to find the right wires to tap into. End result was the aftermarket unit didn't even completely work. I think the bypass unit is bad, but can't really test it.

To get a box that is plug and play and installs well is well worth the money asked. Just my 2 cents. Will chime in with more once I get it installed. Now, to un-install the aftermarket...

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might help clear some things up. I found it on another forum. I am going to the dealership tomorrow to order my parts!

GM ACCESSORIES - TO BUICK, CADILLAC, CHEVROLET, GMC, HUMMER AND PONTIAC DEALERS

Subject: Bulletin ACC08-020 - New Accessory! Dealer-Installed 2-Way Advanced Remote Start
Message #: VSE20080443

DESCRIPTION:
Introducing the innovative 2-Way Advanced Remote Start. Now available for select GM vehicles (see below for detailed vehicle application information). The 2-Way Advanced Remote Start allows customers to upgrade their factory keyless entry or factory remote start systems to provide enhanced functionality. In addition to extended range remote keyless entry*, extended range remote vehicle start, and standard functions like door lock/unlock, vehicle locator/panic alarm and power liftgate open/close (if vehicle is equipped), this new accessory also features technology that allows 2-way communication between the key fob transmitter and the vehicle.

The key fob transmitter provides immediate visual and audio confirmation that a key fob command (like start vehicle, lock/unlock doors, etc.) was received. The large, easy-to-read LCD screen displays status/data when within range of the vehicle such as Fuel Level, Tire Pressure, Odometer Reading (accurate within 1 mile), Clock/Remote Start Countdown Timer, and Key Fob Battery Life Indicator. Customers with vehicles equipped with steering wheel controls (UK3) can even scroll through their pre-set radio stations.**

* Up to three times as far as factory remote keyless entry
** excludes HHR and G6

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Immediately for all vehicles listed below except HHR. The 2-Way Advanced Remote Start for HHR will be available shortly.

QUALIFICATIONS:
Fits specific makes/models (see below for details).

ORDER INPUT:
Orders can be placed through your local Accessory Distributor Installer (ADI), or through your Parts Department to be charged against the open parts account.

Part Number Product Description:
2-Way Advanced Remote Start
for vehicles... Product Usage
Year - Make - Model MSRP Install Time
17802088 With AP8 (extended range remote keyless entry) and E61 (power liftgate) 2008 Buick Enclave
2007-2008 GMC Acadia $250.00 1.9 hrs
19156554 With AP3 (factory remote start) and E61 (power liftgate) 2008-2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 GMC Acadia $150.00 1.4 hrs
19171128 With AP8 (extended range remote keyless entry) and automatic transmission, without E61 (power liftgate) 2007-2009 Chevy Silverado Regular Cab (-C49)* & Crew/Extended Cab (-A48)**; Avalanche, Equinox
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2007-2009 GMC Sierra Regular Cab (-C49)* & Crew/Extended Cab (-A48)**
2007-2009 Pontiac Torrent $250.00 1.9 hrs
19171129 With AP3 (factory remote start), without E61 (power liftgate) 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevy Silverado Regular Cab (-C49)* & Crew/Extended Cab (-A48)**; Tahoe Hybrid (+HP2); Avalanche, Equinox
2007-2008 GMC Acadia, Sierra Regular Cab (-C49)* & Crew/Extended Cab (-A48)**; Yukon Hybrid (+HP2)
2008-2009 HUMMER H2 SUT, SUV
2007-2009 Pontiac Torrent $150.00 1.4 hrs
17802087 With AU0 (remote keyless entry) and automatic transmission 2007-2009 Chevy Silverado Regular Cab (-C49)* & Crew/Extended Cab (-A48)**
2007-2009 GMC Sierra Regular Cab (-C49)* & Crew/Extended Cab (-A48)** $295.00 2.2 hrs
19157233 With AP8 (extended range remote keyless entry) and E61 (power liftgate); excludes Hybrids (-HP2) 2007-2009 Chevy Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL $250.00 1.6 hrs
17802071 With AP8 (extended range remote keyless entry) without E61 (power liftgate); excludes Hybrids (-HP2) 2007-2009 Buick Lucerne
2007-2009 Chevy Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL $250.00 1.6 hrs
19156555 With AP3 (remote vehicle start) without E61 (power liftgate); excludes Hybrids (-HP2) 2007-2009 Buick Lucerne
2007-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL $150.00 1.1 hrs
19157237 With AP3 (remote vehicle start) and E61 (power liftgate); excludes Hybrids (-HP2) 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV
2007-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali $150.00 1.1 hrs
17802069 With AP8 (extended range remote keyless entry) 2007-2009 Pontiac G6 $250.00 1.9 hrs.
19156553 With AP3 (remote vehicle start) 2007-2009 Pontiac G6 $150.00 1.6 hrs.
19157234 With AP3 (remote vehicle start) 2007-2009 Chevy HHR (excludes all Panel models) $150.00 1.7 hrs
* -C49 = Without Rear Defogger
** -A48 = Without Power Sliding Rear Window

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Antenna location varies by vehicle make/model.
Key fob can be programmed to control a second vehicle if that vehicle is also equipped with 2-Way Advanced Remote Start.
If reprogrammed, factory key fobs remain operational (except HHR & G6; 2-Way Advanced Remote Start kits for these vehicles include one new factory-style key fob to replace the factory fob).
To preserve battery life of the 2-Way Advanced Remote Start key fob transmitter, the image on the screen remains illuminated for approximately 5 seconds. To recall image to the screen, simply press any button once. To illuminate backlighting, press one of the side buttons once.
Important Installation Information:
• Estimated installation time: 1.1 – 2.3 hours, depending on vehicle
• Installation instructions available via Service Information (SI) website
• Requires service programming and scan tool
• Adhesion promoters are not included in kits. Order GM part number 12378555 for glass surfaces on '08 HHR and all full-size SUVs, or
12378462 for all other surfaces on all other vehicles.
• G6 requires a small piece of felt/flocking tape which is not currently included in the kit. Call 1-800-654-6333 to order BSR part number KT13296.
GM Accessories permanently installed at the time of new-vehicle delivery are covered under the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty. If installed after delivery, coverage (parts and labor) is for the balance of the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty, but not less than 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first). GM Accessories not requiring installation or purchased over the counter carry a 12 month limited warranty (parts only).
This product is also covered under GM Protection Plan (GMPP) Major Guard and Smart Protection vehicle service contracts. Please refer to the current GMPP administrative guide for coverage details.
If you have additional questions, please contact your District Parts Manager (DPM) or Regional Division Marketing Manager-Accessories (RDMM-A).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Strange...

Hi,

I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 since 2008, and today something strange happend. I was outside the car, with the key in my hand and when i get into the car the climate systen was on. I haven't the autostart remote.
Just before get in, I know that I pressed many button before to unlock the door.
Someone can help me ? Is there a "code" ?

Thank you

Nancy from Switzerland

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my two-way GM remote start upgrade installed today. It works slicker than snot on a glass doorknob!! You can view your fuel level, current mileage and the time on the key-fob. Plus it gives you a count down timer after you remote start it. It has great range and a very fast response time. I wish you could adjust how long it runs for or turn on the heated seats, but oh well, it is definitely an upgrade from the one-way version.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 since 2008, and today something strange happend. I was outside the car, with the key in my hand and when i get into the car the climate systen was on. I haven't the autostart remote.
Just before get in, I know that I pressed many button before to unlock the door.
Someone can help me ? Is there a "code" ?

Thank you

Nancy from Switzerland
Hello, Has this happened any other times or just this once?

I didn't know we had any G6's in Europe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would be less hassle to get the factory remote start then an aftermarket one. Especially if you are doing it yourself.

I have the AP8 RPO and ordered the upgrade. Had it installed and it now works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys!!!!

First of all, thanks for all the info posted on this topic.

Now, I know I may sound and/or be an idiot telling you this, but here it goes...

I have a 2005 G6 GT, factory equipped with remote start and I ordered the 2 way fob (part # 19156553).

Call me stubborn, call me stupid, whatever, this is listed for 2007 and up 6's.

I will be doing the installation myself and then taking it to the dealer to program it.

Hope it works, for all I know theres no reason not to.

I'll let you know between this week and the next how it turned out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, dropped the car off this morning. They called in the afternoon and said the sealant was done but my car isnt set up for remote start. The manual says if the keyless entry has a "+" on the back, the car is pre-wired. I have the "+". The GM Techlink says the car has to have RPO AP8 installed. Where can I find if my car acutally has it?
if i look atg my vin at this site http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1G2ZH57N184182900 it says i have AP3 LOCK CONTROL REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, START REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY & ENGINE START(AP3)....is this the same ac AP8 or what is the deal

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
FYI I can do factory remote start on ANY G6, even if its 2007+ and didnt have remote keyless entry to begin with :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
FYI I can do factory remote start on ANY G6, even if its 2007+ and didnt have remote keyless entry to begin with :)
OMG Can you seriously? Would you be willing to show/ tell how? I'm VERY interested in getting one, but they are going to charge like 100$ for programming. I have the AP8 already, I just need to get the keyfob.

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
It's nothing an end user can do, I'm going to be offering it as part of my custom BCM programming.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's nothing an end user can do, I'm going to be offering it as part of my custom BCM programming.
Tell me about this programming.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this... I have a 2008 G6 GXP, I just purchased the factory two way remote start. I went to my local dealer and they want $300 to install the thing! So I went to where I had my alarm system installed in my other car and they only want $60, but said that dealer will still have to use the scan tool to make the remote work. Went back to the dealer and was told it will still be $140 for them to call GM and activate the remote. So my first question is, is it easy to install everything myself (The antenna, module, ect and where does everything go?) and save the $60 and then take it to the dealer to program? Or should I just find a dealer that will do it cheaper?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts