Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 G6 with V6 and I just love it. It is a pleasure to drive and I get looks like I never did with my other cars.

But, there's always a but.

But the remote start has been giving me problems. Before you ask, I know how to use the fob. Press lock and then hold the starter button for 3 or more seconds. I have used it successfully in the past with no problems and it used to start remotely every time. But lately it hasn't been working so well. Even standing next to the driver's door it won't start. Sometimes the fob won't even unlock the door right away. There is fresh battery in both fobs. I even took it apart to make sure there was no gunk obscuring the contacts.

The question is this - does anyone else have the same problem and what did you do about it? When I bought the car from CarMax they didn't even tell me about the remote start but I have since come to rely on it. Here in
Texas it should me a mandatory item. If you have one you know how frustrating it can be to loose it.

The other question I have is about the receiver. I know the fob sends the signal but where is it received? Could the problem be in the receiver? If it easily serviced or replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
It could be a bad soldier with the connectors in the battery compartment. You could try soldiering them back together, otherwise you'd have to buy new ones and get the dealer to reprogram them. It's about $100 for the remote ($40 for 2, from ebay) and the program ($52 flat from GM).

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Open up the fob and bend the battery prongs up so they touch the battery better.

That may not be the case, but thats the problem i had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also had the same problem. On the rubber buttons, (reverse side) there is a conductive coating that is black, and it wears off from repeated use. Take some gum wrapper, the aluminum foil type, and attach it to the inside of the buttons that are giving you grief. I used just a small dab of rubber cement. Works like new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the fob apart and found that there was a small tear right above the remote starter button. Somehow there was moisture of some kind that had worked it's way into the fob itself. I gently dabbed it away and reassembled it. The remote started has worked every time since.

What is the advise out there about sealing that crack? A little superglue? Rubber cement? Duct tape? or just leave it alone and clean it out every once in a while?

Can anyone tell me where the signal from the remote starter is received? Is it in the passenger compartment? The engine compartment? Is it received by the antennae? Where is the box?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I took the fob apart and found that there was a small tear right above the remote starter button. Somehow there was moisture of some kind that had worked it's way into the fob itself. I gently dabbed it away and reassembled it. The remote started has worked every time since.

What is the advise out there about sealing that crack? A little superglue? Rubber cement? Duct tape? or just leave it alone and clean it out every once in a while?

Can anyone tell me where the signal from the remote starter is received? Is it in the passenger compartment? The engine compartment? Is it received by the antennae? Where is the box?
See post #6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.