Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my remote starter as well as the unlock/lock feature. I thought that maybe the battery was dead but I took the battery out and tested it and it registered as 3 Volts. Anyone else with this problem? This is a new car and it worked perfect when I bought it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like the remote should be working, is the car responding at all? Any flashing lights? With both remotes?

Check the DIC on your stereo, make sure everything is enabled.

Some people have mentioned the remotes may need to be programmed or synced with the car. Not sure how to do that, some say press and hold the lock button.

To get my remote start to work I had to change my hood latch (sensor), after I replaced it I had to disconnect the battery to clear the system to get it to work. You may want to try that.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. My 2006 G6 remote starter only works once. When I try to remote start it a second time (to get it extra warm and defrosted) the parking lights flash and it doesn't start. This happens on a number of occasions. At first I looked into the hood latch fix, but since mine starts the first time, I'm not sure what to do. If there's an inexpensive fix, I'd rather do that than take it to the dealer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
638 Posts
You tested the terminals and they registered as 3 volts? It should be 12.3 volts roughly.
i think they mean that they tested the battery in the remote which would be about right if thats what they meant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. My 2006 G6 remote starter only works once. When I try to remote start it a second time (to get it extra warm and defrosted) the parking lights flash and it doesn't start. This happens on a number of occasions. At first I looked into the hood latch fix, but since mine starts the first time, I'm not sure what to do. If there's an inexpensive fix, I'd rather do that than take it to the dealer. Any ideas?
smus, do you have a check engine light lit on your dash? mine did the same thing and it turns out i had a faulty gas cap which registered as a leak in my EVAP system.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
If you have a check engine light the remote start wouldn't work in the first time either. So don't think it's that.

·
Registered
911 Posts
when i bought my 6 used the keyfob didn't work too well so i switched out the battery of course it wasn't that so theres 6 bucks down the drain...turned out it just needed to be synched to my car by the dealer...it KIND OF worked (only way i can explain it...i had to push real hard for i think the lock button to work and the others didn't at all) but once they synched it it worked great

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe someone can help me... So my remote starter only works if I cut the car on the turn to acc quickly, press lock on the fob and then take the key out and do the standard remote starter procedure... When I normally press lock and then the remote start button I get flashing lights... is this some sort of fuse fix? I cant afford to pay an additional $200 to fix if I can avoid it.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Is your Check engine light on?
When mine was on I could still lock and unlock the doors, but it wouldn't start, only flash the lights. Once the check engine light was off everything worked fine.

and as stated, check the settings through the DIC in the stereo. just press menu and look for remote start. For some reason you can turn the option off.

If everything except the start is working it sounds like it's just turned off or the CEL.

Also when you checked the battery in the remote was the little metal piece it clips into soldered correctly? Mine came apart after a year and i had to go and re-solder it all together

·
Sparky
26 Posts
I am willing to bet that its a problem with the rubber keypad. If you open the key fob up and look at the back of the rubber keypad youll notice there are little carbon pads on the back of each button. These, for some reason, wear out over time and lose their conductive properties. Ive fixed my wifes with some double sided tape and tiny pieces of alum foil (cheesey i know but hey it worked perfect). You can purchase rubber keypads on ebay or even call up ur local scrapper they might have some. 9 times out of 10 if some of the buttons work and some do not, this is the problem...

edit - wow just noticed original post was old as hell LOL...ohh well might help somebody

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only thing that worked on my remote was the panic button. I went to keyless fix and ordered the pad that goes in the remote and it works perfectly now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Post is old but I had the same problem.

My battery clips were just floating in the fobs so I soldered them back in place. I also noticed the stroke of the rubber buttons seemed a bit long like I was literally sticking my finger into it If I wasn't conscious of the need to do this at the time it wouldn't work. So as previously stated I too came up with a cheesy remedy.

I took a small styrofoam cup and cut a shim out of it and placed it between the back cover of the fob and the battery side of the circuit board. Now it works perfectly and i don't have to stick my finger through the damn thing anymore. I suspect the carbon pads are worn down as well but things have worked well for a few weeks now

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts