Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the plastic engine cover from a 09 G6 2.4? I've taken a quick look at and I don't see any screws or clips holding it down, but something is holding it on......What?

Something soooo simple.....making me feel DUMB!

·
Registered
292 Posts
on mine its just the oil cap

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankx guys!

Devriesd: There's more than just the oil cap that's keepin the cover on it!

Droptop Diamond: LMAO!!! Thankx for the info. I knew there had to be some type of "Hook Thingy" hold it down, I just didn't know where it was.......

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Dont think so..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2009.5 model G6 with the 2.4L engine and it appears as if the stupid plastic cover is a single piece that is integrated with the top of the intake manifold. Am I an idiot, or is there really no way to remove the engine cover and still operate the engine without a saw?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Updated with pictures

To give you an idea of what I am talking about, I have taken pictures of the engine compartment from my Haynes manual, and pictures of my actual engine compartment. As you can see there is a ginormous piece of plastic preventing access to the entire engine and intake except for the oil fill cap.

http://picasaweb.google.com/danbert8/EngineCover?feat=directlink

Any suggestions on removing it? Also, anyone else annoyed by the ECOTEC logo? I don't know what mileage others are getting, but mine has been much less than the EPA rating, and a lot less than my prior 10 year old Malibu with a 3.1L V6 engine. Explain how a smaller, less powerful engine, on the same class car can get less mileage 10 years later... No wonder GM went bankrupt!

·
Supreme Overlord
7 Posts
PITA-Could be

Hello i also have the 2.4 and I took all my plastic off to paint it(which makes a big difference) and i remember disconnecting the two hoses and taking off the oil cap. I also think there were two tabs on the back that you had to kind of pull out on a little to get it to break free. It feels a little heavier coming off then it should cause i think the maf is in there? Any way i took my oil cap on the grasped the back edge of the plastic and kind of rolled it out away from the motor and up. Hope you wrestle it free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmmm most its just the oil cap like a grand prix, If not then there should be 2 to 3 clips holding it on. Also that foam adhesive could be whats holding you back, if thats the case GRIP IT AND RIP IT!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air filter

I found that there are two clamps around the air filter house keeping you from lifting the plastic cover. One is right next to the air filter and one is under the plastic cover. There might be a small hose clamp to loosen as well, I'm about to go try it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts