Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removing Dealer Sticker/Wet Sanding Clear Coat

So, I have this lovely sticker on my rear bumper that says the dealer name and all the manufactures that they sell. I started to peel it off, but it feels almost like there is a thin clear coat over top. A little bit of it chipped what appeared to be either the sticker or cheap clear. So what do I do to get this off? I don;t want to damage my paint.

·
G6ADDICT
416 Posts
those cars come from the factory painted and then the dealers put the sticker on afterwards. unless that car was in some kind of accident and the idiot that painted it after it was fixed didnt take that sticker off and clear coated right over it, but i really dont think thats the case. i think u shud be fine just taking it off and if theres any kind of adheisive or crap left behind theres a few cleaners u can use. i got a can of adhesive remover from walmart for like 4 bucks to take off all my badges on my trunk and it worked pretty good.

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So shouldn't be worried about the couple little chips? They kind of faded back in with the paint. The sticker is just so FRIGGIN ugly and I hate free advertising. Would I be more successful with a heat gun? I have some 3M adhesive remover as well.

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loading it now.

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The picture got messed up, but look above where it says Joyce, there used to be a horizontal line there. See how it fades up?

·
G6ADDICT
416 Posts
im like 99% positive its just residue from the sticker. just get some adhesive remover, or actually u can use gasoline but be carefull, and just dab some onto a rag and rub it right out. and if you want to u can do what i did and use a claybar on your trunk afterwards then a rubbing compound, then wax it to finish and itle look like from the factory

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its like it bumps down but flakes off easy, I just don't wanna mess up the paint on my new car.

Well I'll be back in 10 mins. Breaking out the heat gun.

It's in the clear coat -_-

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's under the clear, so how could I re-clear it or what should I expect to pay to have that small portion re-cleared?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Take the bumper off, wetsand the entire thing, then take it and get a new clear coat on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm taking it back to the dealer to pretty much insist they fix it. If they don't then I will start peeling it and wet sand int to reshoot the clear coat.

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is that and how do I fix that?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Its a paint sealant that protects your paint, keeps it from fading and you dont have to wax it to keep your paint looking nice. I had it on mine and when i took my emblems off i had a similar thing, except there were no chips and it wasnt very pronounced like yours is.

I have no idea how you fix it. My guess is that it has to be sanded off and redone.

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ugh.....I'm just going to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Take your car to the dealer. Tell them they have to pay you for advertisement or they have to take it off and make it like new. They do that stuff all the time. It used to be, every time you took your car to the dealer for service they would put the sticker back on. Now it's just when you buy it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Platinum Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They wouldn't do anything so I've been wet sanding it.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts