Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody replaced there front and/or rear brake pads on a G6 GT or GTP??? If, so how easy was it and does it require any special tools????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:D

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Its easy but you will also need the Borg tool to release the piston on the back E brake.

Just do a search for Borg tool......if you cant find it ill post pix.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Actually, I would greatly apprciate it if you could post a pic of that tool. I tried the web search.....And I suck at it, LOL. "Borg", is this the tool name or manufactor's name?.....Couldn't find it!

Thankx.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, in all my years of working on my cars I've never used or seen that used before....I have seen it in stores but had no idea what its for. Just looking at it and trying to figure out how its used is giving me a headache!!!! LOL

Thankx by the way for the pic Lampoon!

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Rotate the BORG till you find which side fits into the ebrake piston in the middle of the back.
Slide your 1/2 socket extention into it then crank it down. This will allow your emergency brake to have some clearance so u can get the rotors and pads on.

Then when its all back together pump your ebrake handle in the car to rotate the piston back into place.

Borg costs about $10 on average and can be picked up at just about any car parts place.

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
replaced my brakes on the front, All I used was a 13 or 14 and a 15 wrench. Also had a hammer to tap the wrench to get them loose.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used pliers for my back brakes. Just redneck it!!! LOL. :p

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just replaced the rear pads & rotors on my G6 GT yesterday. I used a 1/2" wrench to turn the brake piston in. Took about a couple minutes to do for each side. I would do a full turn pushing with light pressure, then I waited half a minute, gave it another turn, another half minute and another turn put it all the way back in place.

It's also good practice to pop the hood and remove the brake reservoir cap to relieve any pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts