Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 with a 4 spoke steering wheel with out radio controls.
I really like the look of the 3 spoke steering wheel with cruise and radio controls.
How possible is it to swap out the steering wheel?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 06 with a 4 spoke steering wheel with out radio controls.
I really like the look of the 3 spoke steering wheel with cruise and radio controls.
How possible is it to swap out the steering wheel?
IT just not the steering wheel, if it is not done factory then I think you have to run a wire as well to the steering wheel. IT is a lot of money for a simple thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
hey hey

Well I wanted to know how you can place a volume controls on the steering wheel, when the car was not equipped with it from factory and what is involved.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
You need to see if you have the wiring to support it first.

The top of your column comes up very easy.
Just press in on the sides and lift.

look down at the wiring. How many wires do you have in that center harness?

If you have the wiring there its just the controls and a quick trip to the dealership to hook up to a Tech2 to reprogram your radio to accept the
commands.

·
Registered
166 Posts
okay i just checked it. The middle blue harness has 8 wires and the the middle yellow harness has 4 wires.

It looks like you have an extra pack of wires (one the right side), than I do, if we compare the pictures

Here is the picture:

·
Phantom Warrior
80 Posts
OK Lampoon, I know you have probably beat this to death already, but your saying that if I have 8 wires I should be able to install the audio controls without problems, Given I used the right harness for my stereo?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I dont think it is the 8 wires that we need, I think it is the extra wires (see pics) compare both pics, Lampoon's got an extra set of wires, than I do. I believe that might be it. I think the 8 wires are standard on all G6. But Lampoon knows best!

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
The G6 can come with 5 or 8 wires there.
If you have 8 wires then your good to go. The wiring to support it is there.
Its when you have only 5 that your stuck:

PS- that yellow harness is your airbag.

·
Phantom Warrior
80 Posts
Thanks, Lampoon!

·
Registered
166 Posts
okay.. so once we add the bezel and the switch, do we need another harness just for the volume controls? or do we just plug back everything back as in the pictures?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bump for this.

Harness #15825417 $11.11

This now say the part is either under a new number or no longer available.

·
pontiacpro09
3 Posts
I have a 09 base g6 that did not have cruise or radio controls, I checked the harness and had 8 wires. I called my local dealer and spoke to a smart service tech that agreed if you have 5wires then you are out of luck but if you have 8wires then You will need to change the wheel to one with controls and in most cases it will work immediately but there could be the chance you will have to take it to dealer to have bcm flashed. I changed the wheel took me a total of 45min including 20min wait time to let the capacitors for the airbags drain, started car took for a drive and bam cruise was already activated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lampoon!!!!!!!!

Hey Lampoon,

I know I have the support for the volume controls, however. I got a harness for I believe a 06 g6,(I have a 07 g6) and the wires dont match up. Do you happen to know which order they would be in? I have attached pictures of both the harness and the steering coloumn wires. The other thing is, the way the harness in positioned in the picture is the way it plugs into the connector. Atleast, that is the way I took it out from the 06 G6

·
Registered
166 Posts
Update..installed the steering wheel control on the g6. It guess the color of the wires don't need to be modified. Just plug n play.. and it worked. But like everyone else.. buttons aren't synced properly. But as long as volume and changing tracks works.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
no...dont move the wires around. Plug & play or Plug & Tech2 reflash will get you going IF
you have the wiring in place (count the wires).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.