Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Replaced the starter, now the battery won't charge

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  boomer 
#1 ·
I recently replaced a bad starter on my 07 G6 3.5L. It starts up fine but now it seems as though the alternator is not charging the battery. It's a brand new battery but after a few minutes the battery light comes on and when I put a meter on the battery, it reads around 11 volts. The fuse and relay seem to be fine. I'm not great with automotive wiring but could it be the fusible link wire?
Thanks
Jay

#2 ·
To my mind the safest way would be to remove the negative battery terminal and test the resistance. Harder to short anything out that way. You would also use the ohm or diode test to measure the resistance between the "battery positive and alternator positive" as well as the "battery negative, chassis and engine block". on my G6 there is a grey rubber boot over the alternator positive.

Another test would be to use the voltmeter on the alternator positive terminal and engine ground you should see if the alternator is generating power (with the engine running of course). Equally if you get the same voltage as at the battery with the engine off you have an idea that the wiring and fuse is good. Be careful not to short the positive to ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.