Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, brake fluid is leaking from my passenger rear brake caliper pretty bad. I am looking for a new brake caliper, preferrably remanufacturerd so I'm not spending an arm and a leg. I've looked everywhere and there seems to be so many options. I would prefer to get in-person (O'Reilly Auto, Advanced Auto, Autozone, etc) but I do have Amazon Prime as an option.

I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT, and don't need anything super fancy (brembos or anything like that). Mainly as close to OEM as possible, but won't break off and leave me without any stopping power. Since brake fluid is leaking from one caliper, should I replace both rears, or since my car is a 2009, would I be fine replacing just one? I'm guessing I need to replace both rear pads as well, yes?

In short: Any recommendations on a new caliper that won't break the bank? Open to many options. Not really sure what's "good" and what's "poor" when it comes to calipers. I just don't want to break the bank!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
One of my rears dumped all my fluid a few months back. Auto zone had it near me for the cheapest. They're all pretty much the same reman parts.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Yup that's it. Two bolts/pins separate it from the bracket. The new calipers came with new pins and a rubber seal for one of the pins, You have to put it on the pin before installation and I believe that is the bottom pin.
Also pick up a packet or two of grease for those pins, it should be right at the counter.

Mine's been working just fine, no issues at all, not with e-brake or anything else.

Also I removed the spring on the back to make connecting the cable easier, Popping the spring back on wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I buy all my parts for my G6 off eBay. Its new parts and a lot cheaper than part store. I brought high performance new rotators for my car off Ebay for half price from Auto Zone. I have at least 3 sellers that I buy all my parts from and it has the same warranty if you brought from Auto Zone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was a bit limited on time, so I had to purchase from a retail store. I went with the caliper from Autozone for about $55 or so, then used a $10 coupon to take a few bucks off. Swapped out the caliper bracket from my old caliper, replaced rear brakes, and bled all 4 brake calipers.

All said and done, I spent about $50 on the caliper, $40 on rear brakes, and $8 or so on 32oz of brake fluid. ~$108 total on my credit card to do it all, no labor, since I did it myself. Not bad :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts