Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently decided to buy a replacement key fob button pad from ebay. Less than $5 and my remote works like new!
I thought my battery was running low, which I found strange because it's fairly new, and these batteries usually last quite a long time, or at least for me they do.

So once I received the new pad I compared it to my old one...
please excuse the dust :D

Looking at the front it's obvious which is the new one. The little bump on the trunk button is smaller and it looks like the symbols on the buttons were printed using a different method, just seems different from the original, but doesn't seem to be of bad quality.

Looking at the back side I noticed right away the black dots (what makes the connection on the actual circuit board) I circled the dot that is behind the LOCK button, one commonly used button.
As you can see on the old one, the board started to wear itself into the pad, but all the little dots are also smooth. On the new pad those little dots have a texture to em. But it seems that texture makes all the difference. You can also look at the bottom dot, in the red. That's the panic button and I NEVER used that button, so there is no wear on the old one. But you can see the clear difference between them.

After installing the new pad I was very, very please with the results.
My remote works instantly now! I just have to lightly press the button and the car reacts, even from a distance!

I used to ALWAYS have an issue with the remote start, I'd hit lock, and the car locks, then I hit start with nothing. I had to try it several times before the car would start. Now it's effortless, one button, then the other, and the car is running no problems!

All in all this was definitely worth the $4.50 it cost me. Couldn't be happier.

Feel free to ask any questions!

·
Troy
229 Posts
Mine is twice as fried as yours and had the same problem, instead of replacing the buttons I glued foil onto the button contacts. Works like new

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I saw a company that sells a plastic insert with little metal tabs, but I like your idea better!

·
Troy
229 Posts
Free and easy ;)

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
The product is called keyless fix for GM remotes. Little expensive, but a longterm solution since this issue will just keep popping up. With the keyless fix, you only have to do it once.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, it's like $9.99 for that, I may look into it in the future, What I like about the new button pad though, is it feels nice and new when I press the buttons. Like the perfect snap feeling under my finger, although that's only a little part of it lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts