Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's not that hard, the worst part is if there was any other damage when the cable broke.
If you have a new cable, and the wing is okay, you are lucky.
If the wing is broke, there may be a fix, let me know what is broke, and I might be able to walk you through that.
Assuming you have all good parts, I have found it easiest to do those with car running, and the rear cover at maybe an 80 degree angle. Why car running? If you actuate any of the top components with just key on, they timeout and will fold up
In about 30 seconds. With car running, pressure is kept in the system. For much longer, maybe 5 minutes, I've never timed it, just don't leave you arms in there and dilly dally.
Start first with car off and find the cable end, held on with torx screw and a little more down, and nut adjust type mount.
Note the routine, take a picture, whatever you end to do. Get a helper, open the roof and push the bar wing intel you have that 80* position. From here you can access pretty much the entire routing of the cable.
Disconnect the cable from the wing.
The end of the cable has a spring thing with two studs that connect to the struts of the wing. The studs are held on. With a clip. You have to lift the open end, to push the clip off. Two clips off, you have wiggle a bit to get them out. Installation is reverse, you have to keep an eye that the routing is good.
Doe that help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does help but the other end is what is causing me the issue. I cannot tell how the wire end comes off. Is it a star head type screw or has the end been pressed to flatten it? That is the end that broke, the wire pulled out of the eyelet end piece.

Also I have no power at my button. I found the broken actuator and was going to replace it and then troubleshoot from there. I have already checked all the fuse and disconnected the battery to try to reset it but still nothing.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The cable end with loop is held attached with a very small torx head screw accessed horizontally. A small 1/4" torx bit seems to work best.
With the cable end apart, I don't know if that is repairable without a fresh cable.
Technically, if you removed the cable and wing, it would have no effect except for a crazy hole between the deck and back seat.
No power at switch. Not a usual problem. Usually people have power, attempt to cycle the top and it works, or they get an error. No power at all makes me wonder if the car is in Park when this is tried. That would make it like that. Or, maybe the switch on is bad?
I suppose you could remove the switch and confirm power to the connector before damning the switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have now replaced the actuator but still need to figure out why I get nothing when I push the button to raise or lower the top.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The button must be working because I get the Top Not Secure message when I let off from pushing the button. I have checked all the fuses (trunk, passenger foot area, and under the hood) and I have disconnected the battery trying to reset it.

Anybody know of what I might check next. I really hate to have it towed to the dealer where they may or may not have anybody that has ever worked on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts