Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bout an '07 G6 and cannot live without music (from my phone) so I need to get a new deck (I think that would be better than jerry rigging one of those aux adapters into the existing radio).

I realize the current deck has some settings for the car (for example, whether keyless entry is turned on or not -- I only know because I'm also researching about getting a FOB programmed, since I dont have one as of now)

So, is there anything I should know so I don't screw anything up when I buy a new deck and get the guy at the store to install it, when he probably doesn't know or care about any specific details.. just trying not to make a mistake I'll regret

Also, how can I find out if my car has option for remote start? I'd like to get a FOB that does that but I don't know if it came in mine -- some have it, some dont.. last 8 digits of my VIN are 74115316 if that allows someone to answer for me?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This past weekend I put a new head unit into my new-to-me '07 G6 convertible. I opted for a Kenwood DMX-7704S since I use Android Auto for music and WAZE navigation. My solution for the loss of the radio DIC (Driver Information Center) with the stock radio was to swap in a 2010 gauge cluster that has the DIC under the speedo. The gauge pod was less than $50 on eBay. I also changed steering wheel switch for the one with the DIC controls. A new one was about $25 on Amazon (p/n 25864457). There is a write-up on this process >>here<<.

I went with an Axxess ASWC-1 module to retain the steering wheel controls and a PAC OS-311B module to retain all the chimes, turn signal indicators, RAP power (power to radio when key is off for 10 min or until door is opened), and On-Star.

Brand new replacement key fobs were $12 shipped for a pair. You will need to have a dealership or repair shop with a scan tool register any new fobs with your car. I have a GM Tech 2 scan tool so programming was not an issue for me - hopefully you can get someone to help you out since a dealership will charge you a ridiculous fee for the 5-10 minutes it takes to program the car for new remotes. If you have the RPO code "AP3" on the list of three-letter codes on the sticker in the glove box, you have the remote start option installed and activated and just need remotes.

I like to tinker so the installation was a good use of a Sunday afternoon. Everything is working very well and now that I have electronics that are updated to this decade, the car is much more enjoyable for me. My only slight issue is the loss of the all-Red night-time cockpit. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
2007 gt retractable
317 Posts
im pretty happy with the built in satelite radio plus i don't have five hundred to spend right now or id do this too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts