Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, first post on this board.

I removed the muffler on my GT and left the resonator on. Had straight pipe put in place of the BIG muffler and a nicer tip that fills up the semi circle cutout in the rear bumper. It sounds great, not that loud but much deeper. The car SEEMS faster, but I can't really swear that it is. I think it just gives a better overall feel when you can hear a little grunt from the engine.

· Registered
4 Posts
you just removed the muffler? not the resonator?
Yes, just the muffler. I know that's not what was originally asked, I just wanted to point out that there was another option. It's relatively cheap, sounds great and provides a modest power increase. The resonator tones the sound more than quieting. By removing the muffler, you get a slightly louder and much throatier sound. I had a professional muffler shop do mine and it was right at $200. $70 of that was the tip, the rest was for mandrel bent stainless steel pipe. It has to make two good bend to go from the muffler inlet to the tail pipe. Since the rest of the exhaust is stainless, I didn't want to put crappy galvanized on there and have it rust in a year.

Now, if I can scrape together the cash for one of Lampoon's intakes, I will be set.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.