Pontiac G6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
G6Action said:
ok, COMPROMISE!!!

cut it off, get a piece of exhaust pipe from your friendly muffler shop or parts store and CLAMP it in place. test drive and see if you like the sound.

if its too loud (my guess is that it WILL), THEN go buy your favorite performance muffler and WELD it in place.

just a thought.......
Removal of a resonator typically has minimal effect on sound "volume". Removing the resonator typically changes the tone (not necessarily volume) and also removes the smoothness of the note. It typically turns raspy, and barks more on throttle off.

Replacing the resonator with a muffler, though, would not be something I would recommend myself, that is unless you want the exhaust quieter. A muffler will reduce volume, and will increase restriction more so than a resonator.

I'd have a shop cut the resonator out cleanly, and temp-bolt a pipe in there. If you don't like it, have them weld the resonator back in place. Should be no more than a $50-$75 job.

What would be ideal is for someone to post a sound clip who has done it.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
G6Action said:
OBVIOUSLY you are not fans of South Park......
I got kids at home so I dont get to see the adult cartoons as much as i'd
like. The Simpsons are about it.

As for the resonator I am just going to cut it out and Y it past the axel.
Should have it done by mid December.

·
Registered
423 Posts
miscreant said:
What would be ideal is for someone to post a sound clip who has done it.
sound bite you wanted; "rumble...rumble...rumble...VROOM.VROOM.VROOM...rumble...rumble...rumble...
VROOM.VROOM.VROOM!

so, what did ya think of THAT!! sounds 'BAD', huh? :agree2: and i did all the work myself!!! i'm sooooo proud!

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
I looked at the GTP exhaust, which is strange. I would remove the muffler and pipe up to the axle. I would install a 'Y' pipe and additional piping(2.5" diameter) running into dual glasspack mufflers with tips. That should give the car a mean tone and a little better flow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took my resonator off...

I have an 06 GTP with the 3.9 took the resonator off went to advance got some flex 2.5 piping put it in place of the resonator and it sounds good .... when driving the car i really cant hear it since the noise is behind the car plus over the music.... but when i rev... its a good improvement from stock that is cheap...

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is exactly what I am thinking about doing, because somehow my resinator popped from the inside and I have a hole in it. so I wanna cut it off and clamp a piece of exhaust pipe. I heard it will give the car a nice tone, so I wanna try it. anyone know offhand what the diameter of the pipe is and what clamps to use? its a 2005 V6 Sedan.. not GT, just V6. thanks :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh one more thing.. what if you put a performance muffler in place of the resinator, and then got rid of the muffler near the ass end? someone suggested that to me today when I mentioned I wanted dual exhaust. they said to do that, then slap a Y pipe where the muffler currently is, cut out the facia and add tips. any opinion on all that?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
not a fan unless you change the baffels to "tune" the exhaust. Otherwise it pops and resonates too much. imho

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, first post on this board.

I removed the muffler on my GT and left the resonator on. Had straight pipe put in place of the BIG muffler and a nicer tip that fills up the semi circle cutout in the rear bumper. It sounds great, not that loud but much deeper. The car SEEMS faster, but I can't really swear that it is. I think it just gives a better overall feel when you can hear a little grunt from the engine.

·
16 Posts
Hello all, first post on this board.

I removed the muffler on my GT and left the resonator on. Had straight pipe put in place of the BIG muffler and a nicer tip that fills up the semi circle cutout in the rear bumper. It sounds great, not that loud but much deeper. The car SEEMS faster, but I can't really swear that it is. I think it just gives a better overall feel when you can hear a little grunt from the engine.
you just removed the muffler? not the resonator?

·
Registered
4 Posts
you just removed the muffler? not the resonator?
Yes, just the muffler. I know that's not what was originally asked, I just wanted to point out that there was another option. It's relatively cheap, sounds great and provides a modest power increase. The resonator tones the sound more than quieting. By removing the muffler, you get a slightly louder and much throatier sound. I had a professional muffler shop do mine and it was right at $200. $70 of that was the tip, the rest was for mandrel bent stainless steel pipe. It has to make two good bend to go from the muffler inlet to the tail pipe. Since the rest of the exhaust is stainless, I didn't want to put crappy galvanized on there and have it rust in a year.

Now, if I can scrape together the cash for one of Lampoon's intakes, I will be set.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Resonator Delete = DDDDRRROOOOWWWNNN!!! Its gonna sound more like a ricer.... you will hear that thing going 65 on the interstate like crazy... In my opinion thats annoying... unless of course you like the ricers...

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok so I ended up actually going through with the cutout of the res. and welding straight pipe.. if you havent already.. DONT. its sounds GAY. it sound snice and rumbly at idle.. but its sooo raspy and stuff its annoying. sounds worse then any ricer I've heard.. oh and it pops alot too

21 - 40 of 79 Posts