Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Put a nice flow through there like a 4" magnaflow. It will keep some of the low
and kill allot of the rasp and pop but you need to swap that back muffler with something else to really awaken it to a nice quiet yet loud rumble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I am going to remove the muffler under the trunk, by a new two outlet rear fascia and split the exhaust into two pipes off one, then install two Flowmaster series 40 mufflers. Nice sound, not too loud, no drown. Here is a Charger with a 3.5L equipped with Flowmasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm1KZUu9R0s

This has no Resonator....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYLycfgFLIM
What flowmasters muffler did you use on the g6 pontiac? its sounds nice.id like to get one like that.i just cut the resonator out on my gtp and it sounds better but just too raspy and popping too much.i like how yours sounds:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
heres what i was able to get.it doesnt sound too great cause of it being on an iphone.but its the best i got.:) has a rasp in the middle of the video that i dont like but only does that around 2500 rpms.tell me what ya think

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/dylan256/?action=view&current=1268419844.flv
that is exactly what i don't want...that "raspy" sound you get when you let off the gas is "rollover" and the "rocks in a folgers can" is from your exhaust not being tuned...and this is from removing just the resonator and putting in a straight pipe, right? you might want to look into getting a resonator to replace that straight pipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
resonator removal

I put straight Y pipes on my v8 f150 it sounded bad ass but after about 6 months I got clogged catalyc converters due to the backpressure not having a muffler to filter it in. So I got stuck with a 700 dollar expense. So i had the cats hollowed out which is illegal but when i started to drive my truck had no take off power at all so I put a dual outlet muffler back on and it fixed the problem. So I now know Why strait pipes are for nascars that are ran wide open with no red lights lol This is why cat back exhasut systems give the best sound and performance which will replace the resonator and muffler your tired of looking at.:D

·
Heavy Modder
18 Posts
how difficult would it be to just cut out the muffler and connect the pipes?
would not having a muffler be "bad"?

second thought, how hard do you think it would be to just replace the old muffler with a new flowmaster etc.?

·
Registered
159 Posts
how difficult would it be to just cut out the muffler and connect the pipes?
would not having a muffler be "bad"?

second thought, how hard do you think it would be to just replace the old muffler with a new flowmaster etc.?
ive read on here that removing the muffler and installing a straight pipe in its place had little to no effect on the sound/performance...then again, i dont think anyone posted a video of it either...

·
Registered
1 Posts
well i removed my resonator and put a straight pipe in also deleted my muffler and put 4inch fireball mufflers on and it sounds great to me... at low rpm it sounds more like a magnaflow exhaust but when i get on the throttle it sounds more like a import sound... the only other defect with my exhaust set up is i have to put in an X pipe to get rid of the poppin noise on deceleration. if i had a camera i would post a vid but i dont.

2006 G6 GTP 3.9L

·
G6 mafia
67 Posts
So I keep reading too much questions and answers over all I want to change the two of my 06 g6 v6 sedan out of everybodys opion what would be just the best way to do this....just getting a 40 series muffler from magnaflow take off old muffler and replace this from the stock? Just want a straight up answer thank you...

·
G6 mafia
67 Posts
So I keep reading too much questions and answers and can't get a straight answer...over all I want to change the tone of my 06 g6 v6 sedan out of everybodys opion what would be just the best way to do this....just getting a 40 series muffler from magnaflow take off old muffler and replace this from the stock? Just want a straight up answer thank you...

·
Registered
80 Posts
that is what I plan to do carlos, I'm getting a magnaflow muffler and a different tip and am going to put that on, I figured this way if I don't like the sound I can just keep moving up the car till I get the right sound I'm looking for.

·
G6 mafia
67 Posts
Does a different tip make a difference? And moving on up like moving the location of the muffler or changing it out?

·
Registered
80 Posts
no I just want a different look coming out of it. and moving up as in move to the catalytic converter and closer to the engine till I get the tone I want.

·
G6 mafia
67 Posts
sounds kind of pricey...but yeah idk what i want to do yet i got alot of stuff im doing all at once want to get the car done with everything as fast as i can u know...but ima have to try it out and see what i can get out of it...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ya I agree, I want to do so much, but the budget doesn't allow being in high school still and college coming up next year, but I thought starting with a muffler that I found on amazon for $40 would be a lot better than a full system

·
16 Posts
I cut out my resonator and stock muffler, replaced the resonator with a straight pipe and dropped in a 40 series muffler in place of the stock, and personally I love it. It has a great sound at start up an idle, and a nice sound at higher rpms

41 - 60 of 79 Posts