Pontiac G6 Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have the resonator removed and i could probably upload a video but it would be from my cell phone and that wouldnt be that great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far the best exhaust I've heard after listening to what seems like a thousand clips I've decided to leave the resonator and replace the muffler with a flowmaster 80 series with dual tail pipes. It keeps the deep throuaty sound without the ricer whine and pop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So far the best exhaust I've heard after listening to what seems like a thousand clips I've decided to leave the resonator and replace the muffler with a flowmaster 80 series with dual tail pipes. It keeps the deep throuaty sound without the ricer whine and pop.
do you have a link to a video or sound clip of this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I havehad the resisnator removed and I have custom flowmaster 40 series duals on my 05gt I cut the bumper on the passenger side to run duals and it looks Great can't even tell it's cut and it is loud but that's how I wanted it I did te exhaust first and left it there but I was way too quite I u go to YouTube and type in 05 g6gt custom flowmaster exhaust I have two videos they don't do it any justice but they ok I love how Loud it is and I'm gonna try to get another video to put on tonorrow

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
do you have a link to a video or sound clip of this?

^that is stock all the way to the muffler, then it goes...
-80 series muffler 1 in 2 out
inlet hole is 2.5 the outlet holes are 2.5
then 2.5 pipping to the tips.
the tips are 3.5

this has the resonator!

this is the same muffler with out the resonator, with a 22" glasspack in place of it...

he repipped it from that cat with 2.5 pipes to the 80 series muffler, then did 2.5" pipes to the tips and put on 4" tips

·
Registered
48 Posts
i put on a magnaflow muffler with duel outlet and when i put in on it was quiter than the stock one with a little differnt sound deeper insted of cuting out like the stock one so i decited to cut off the resanator and wow what a deffernce sounds like a 350z or of that sound but i like it and with tap shift like i have it sounds better i'd say if you have a standard it would be even nicer but me i dont mind loud cars trucks i love to hear the exhaust

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
2008 GXP Coupe

I have a 2008 GXP Coupe 3.6 and just had full dual exhaust (cat back) w/ Magnaflow mufflers and it sounds like a rice burner !!!! What did I do wrong ?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
It needs the resonators to cut the rasp IMHO....
If you cut them out replace them with flow through magnaflow or glasspacks
then run to the one muffler single in dual out camaro muffler in back and it will sound great.

Again...imho

I know everyone has an opinion on sound.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
My muffler shop is going to a an x-pipe up front then run dual flowmasters at the rear. I'm hopeing it sounds good !!!!!! Next I need to get an intake any suggestions ???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Exhaust Finally Done !!!!

After swapping out 3 different mufflers (Off Brand Turbos, Magnaflows, and 40 Series Flowmasters) I ended up going with full duals through an x-pipe into dual Flowmasters 60 Series w/ OE tips !!!!! Really sounds good now !!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The exhaust resonator on my 08 2.4L G6 is in need of replacement. I don't feel like dropping the dough on a new one so i'm contemplating the straight pipe replacement option. Should i get a 2.5" straight pipe? From what i read it would fit over the existing pipes after i cut out the resonator? I see i may get a "raspy" sound but it can't possibly be as annoying as what it's doing now. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ended up finding a replacement resonator at Federal auto parts for 35$. My buddy has a lift so we were able to saw it out easily and install the new one. Only issue was the new resonator didn't leave much room for clamping because the pipe on each end was maybe 2.5". So we welded the rear pipe and clamped the front. Finally sounds like it should. Funny thing is GM wouldn't sell me just the resonator, they said i needed to replace the entire system from the 2nd cat back for the low low price of $780 (that was just the price of the parts). I just laughed and hung up the phone. :)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts