Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
08 convertible
356 Posts
Yes he could take it back to the dealer but unlikely the dealer would know how to fix it.
The most likely cause is the new struts, we discussed this in another thread.
The length of the struts (fully compressed) is critical and cannot be easily measured. If the new struts are too long or too short by a small amount, the trunk lid will still function but one of the microswitches for the top will not register correctly. This will cause the top not to operate. The solution is to get another pair of struts of the correct length.
If the trunk lid lined up perfectly with both quarter panels at the fore end before and now it is slightly higher or lower than the quarter panel, that's a sure sign the struts are off. But that assumes you looked closely before the replacement.
Best bet is to replace with OEM (ACDelco) struts. If they already did this it may be trial and error finding struts that fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes he could take it back to the dealer but unlikely the dealer would know how to fix it.
The most likely cause is the new struts, we discussed this in another thread.
The length of the struts (fully compressed) is critical and cannot be easily measured. If the new struts are too long or too short by a small amount, the trunk lid will still function but one of the microswitches for the top will not register correctly. This will cause the top not to operate. The solution is to get another pair of struts of the correct length.
If the trunk lid lined up perfectly with both quarter panels at the fore end before and now it is slightly higher or lower than the quarter panel, that's a sure sign the struts are off. But that assumes you looked closely before the replacement.
Best bet is to replace with OEM (ACDelco) struts. If they already did this it may be trial and error finding struts that fit.
I agree that it is unlikely the dealer will know how to fix. I suppose it's possible the dealer has installed non-OEM struts, but, if it's a GM dealer, I doubt it. With that said, I installed these 2 years ago and were a perfect fit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EZONTU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
08 convertible
356 Posts
Agreed. Best bet, buy the ones JLondon suggested, take them to the dealer and have him put them in. If you're tempted to diy, be forewarned it's not a trivial job and you can easily drop the clips in places that are not accessible.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts