Pontiac G6 Forum banner

rims fitment question

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Convertme 
#1 ·
i have an 05 g6 (4 door), and i have a friend who has an eagle talon, and he had a set of rims a while ago, they were stock rims for a galant (bolt pattern is 5x114), and we tried them on, and they fit on my car. so the other day, i bought some rims off craigslist. they are HP lightning evo rims, and i love them! they are 5x114 lug pattern, but when i tried to put them on my car, they didnt fit. i looked online, and found that my bolt pattern is 5x110 (correct?).. so why would the stock galant rims fit, but not these ones??

also, is there a way i can make the hp rims fit? because it looks like they are really close to fitting..

please let me know. thanks.

#2 ·
G6 standard bolt pattern is 5x110mm.

Providing the rims are the same size (say 16"), and how much more the rims are worn (from removing/installing), it might have been a fluke that the 5x114 rims fit on the G6. a 4mm difference isn't all that much, but it does make a difference as you've found out.

The only way to make them fit is getting a custom hub, or adding a spacer which I can't say I'd recommend for the G6, as the wheels would have to have a big offset to countermand the spacer or else once you install tires, they'll rub and possibly cause a whole load of problems.

Frankly, it's not worth while to squeeze on rims that aren't the right size. You were lucky that the other rims fit, but if they have a different diameter, it might be more of a brake caliper clearance issue than anything else. I'm no wheel expert by any means, but I'd stick with the proper size.

#3 ·
i have an 05 g6 (4 door), and i have a friend who has an eagle talon, and he had a set of rims a while ago, they were stock rims for a galant (bolt pattern is 5x114), and we tried them on, and they fit on my car. so the other day, i bought some rims off craigslist. they are HP lightning evo rims, and i love them! they are 5x114 lug pattern, but when i tried to put them on my car, they didnt fit. i looked online, and found that my bolt pattern is 5x110 (correct?).. so why would the stock galant rims fit, but not these ones?? also, is there a way i can make the hp rims fit? because it looks like they are really close to fitting.. please let me know. thanks.
You could get spacers and they should fit I’m finding out I’m tring to get rims for my 09 Pontiac g6 and yes the bolt pattern is 5x110 that’s weird 5x114 fit

#4 ·
Be careful experimenting... While they may have "fit" if the seat of the lug nuts is not resting in the wheel properly, they will work themselves loose as you drive. Last thing you want is to be one of "those guys" on the side of the road with a missing wheel and the rotor on the pavement. Also, make sure the hub bore is the same on whatever wheels you get to match the G-ride. The weight of the car sits on the hub, not the studs. Having a wheel with a bore too big will also result in extra strain on the hub studs and could cause you big headaches down the road.

#7 ·
Ok I will stand corrected but if i am willing to do so you should as well 2006_gtp!
So here it goes---partial quote from your post of December 6, 2022,, ,
"The weight of the car sits on the hub, not the studs. Having a wheel with a bore too big will also result in extra strain on the hub studs and could cause you big headaches down the road."

The weight of the car does "not" sit on the hub. Technically the weight of the car is held up by the friction of the wheel against the hub. The wheel studs hold the wheel against the hub thus holding up the weight of the vehicle. The center bore is more accurately used to ensure alignment of the wheel on the hub so that when the wheel is spinning at higher speeds it does not vibrate. Vibration is the enemy here. The vibration causes the problem at higher speed.

From the article that you asked me and others to read

"What happens if I don’t use a hubcentric ring?
When the hub is smaller than the center bore on the wheel, the wheel will not be technically centered. This causes vibration in many cases, especially around 50-60mph, that feels like a wheel imbalance. The case is, in fact, that the wheel is slightly off-center and not making a smooth rotation. With hubcentric rings, you fill that void and adapt the center bore of the wheel to the hub bore of the car."

I fail to see where the weight of the car is being held up by the center hub/ring as you stated in December. I would argue that it is the "vibration" that would causes the stress that you might refer to.

Healthy debate.... Hopefully and respectfully.
Convertme

#8 · (Edited)
The lug nut seats and their clamping force holds the tire and wheel in place. Just like the article stated, if you do not have the proper hubcentric ring on the wheel this will allow excessive movement. It could eventually result in the lug nuts actually working themselves loose. It will also obviously cause vibrations. At the end of the day, do whatever you want. I can tell that you are a gentleman who enjoys learning things the hard way. It's your car. It's your life. I'm kind of funny about all the parts to my car fitting the way they should so I don't end up in a ditch. I do hear and acknowledge your point of view.
I will gladly stand partially corrected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.