Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recieved the newest edition of Road & Track magazine and there is a featured test of the '06 GTP coupe w/ 6spd. A very complimentary and fact based article I thought. Glad I bought one !

·
Registered
268 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
Yea I was reading it in the store and just had to buy it. It was the first real review of the car. MotorTrend had like, half a page dedicated to it in their last issue, they didn't like it too much.

Mike
It had its good and bad point like any car. I think the largest complaint was the price. If I remember correctly is pretty much said why waste you're money on this when you can have a Mustang GT for the same price, I can think of many...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Blackrider said:
It had its good and bad point like any car. I think the largest complaint was the price. If I remember correctly is pretty much said why waste you're money on this when you can have a Mustang GT for the same price, I can think of many...
True, but MotorTrend doesn't go into detail with their reasons. Why would I want to pay for insurance on a V8? Or pay extra to fill up my gas tank with premium gas? Or why would I buy a Ford instead of a Pontiac? lol

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the trend of the retro look. Us old guys ( 52 this month ) remember the originals and wishing we had the cash to get one then, instead of the old 4 door beaters we ended up with ! Of course, with inflation, still not easy to finance these new ones, but I'm closer to it now than then. Check out the Barrett-Jackson auto auctions on Speed network and you'll be shocked at what these old muscle cars are bringing today. I saw a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda that brought a million bucks !!!

Interesting that the " new " Dodge hemi has the same HP as the old one ( 425 ) , but is only 370 c.i. I believe ( the old one was 426 ) . Plus it's light years ahead of it predecessor in driveability and temperament. Like to see a retro 2007 or 2008 Camaro or Firebird that looks like the '69 models.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
musicman8120 said:
Just recieved the newest edition of Road & Track magazine and there is a featured test of the '06 GTP coupe w/ 6spd. A very complimentary and fact based article I thought. Glad I bought one !
I read that article. R&T turned in a 14.9 @ 94.X mph and estimates the top speed to be 140 mph. Car and Driver also featured the G6 GTP coupe with the 6 MT in a comparison article. They turned a 15.0 sec. 1/4 mile. The C & D observed top speed was 118 mph. The G6 GTP C & D had was shod with 'T' rated Goodyear LS touring tires. :confused:

·
Registered
268 Posts
SCGA1 said:
I read that article. R&T turned in a 14.9 @ 94.X mph and estimates the top speed to be 140 mph. Car and Driver also featured the G6 GTP coupe with the 6 MT in a comparison article. They turned a 15.0 sec. 1/4 mile. The C & D observed top speed was 118 mph. The G6 GTP C & D had was shod with 'T' rated Goodyear LS touring tires. :confused:

And the motor trend tested at [email protected] Witch is thought was overkill to begin with.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The MPH and rest of the slip are extremely important. If you told me a car ran 15 in the 1/4 and no other info...I couldn't be sure if the driver sucked or the car sucked.

Motortrend is notorious for fudging their numbers.. (er..by fudge I mean.. calculating) I busted them out on their Cobalt SS vs SRT4 comparo last year they even published my letter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
haha from what I heard, MotorTrend guys are excellent drivers.
I've been told by someone who builds & races race cars, that my car "feels like" a mid 14 second car...but we'll see won't we?

I can't wait till the Spring, time to go drag racing :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Doesn't matter if they can drive or not.. they dont race on a track... they use a wheel device and calculate their times... thats why it can take a car 12 seconds to reach 100mph and yet run the 1/4 mile in 15 seconds @ 100mph *see how that doesn't match up*

(PS: Evan smith can DRIVE...motor trend drivers can just drive ;) )

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
Motor Trend is also GM-owned.

Mike
I seriously doubt that, because really good auto reviews are few and far between from Motor Trend. I guess we will have to prove the G6 GTP is a mid-14 sec. car. By the time Spring is in full bloom, my car will be lowered, have a WAI(cone filter) and a custom cat-back exhaust system. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
x2... only thing they don't dare tear apart is the Z06 Vette....although they did try to claim the viper was still direct competition..even though they provided results that showed otherwise.

·
Registered
169 Posts
S8ER99 said:
x2... only thing they don't dare tear apart is the Z06 Vette....although they did try to claim the viper was still direct competition..even though they provided results that showed otherwise.
It can still be "direct competition", even though it's really just wishful thinking on their part. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts