Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their own rotors and pads on their G6? I've got 50k miles on my '05 G6. Rotors are warped and have minimal pad life remaining. Looking to save myself several hundred dollars in shop labor.

I'm looking for any tips I may need to know before I get dirty. I've replaced plenty of rotors and pads on my other cars before, but wanted to find out if the calipers or rotors required any special tools for removal and replacement.

Also, having read through some other threads regarding rotor issues, what brand rotors and suppliers have you gone thorugh? I've just looked at a few places like Napa for pricing on stock rotors and EBC pads.

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Has anyone replaced their own rotors and pads on their G6? I've got 50k miles on my '05 G6. Rotors are warped and have minimal pad life remaining. Looking to save myself several hundred dollars in shop labor.

I'm looking for any tips I may need to know before I get dirty. I've replaced plenty of rotors and pads on my other cars before, but wanted to find out if the calipers or rotors required any special tools for removal and replacement.

Also, having read through some other threads regarding rotor issues, what brand rotors and suppliers have you gone thorugh? I've just looked at a few places like Napa for pricing on stock rotors and EBC pads.

Thanks!
I've got 45k miles on my 06 and have replaced the rotors 3 times. I kept using the same pads because nothing was wrong with them. Just last week I threw on a set of Duralast rotors (front and rear) and ceramic pads (front and rear) from Autozone for about $200. I tried a set of rotors from NAPA at $70 each for the fronts and warped them after 8k miles. I think that the factory pads were so hard that they were causing the rotors to get hot and warp. If these new brakes make it to christmas without warping I will be happy. My dealer didn't find it too funny when I told customers looking at a G6 vert in the showroom that I have to change rotors with every oil change :)

As far as tools go, just make sure you have a set of metric sockets (13-15mm) and a long handled ratchet for the caliper bracket bolts. I dont think I spent much more than an hour changing all four. Also be sure to buy lube for the caliper pins. Most all of mine were dry which tells me they didn't lube them at the factory :(

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
My front rotors needed replacement after 15,000 miles. I went with PowerSlot Cryo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
go figure this. I was hearing "scraping" noises so I decided that @74k miles, it was time to check/replace the pads, especially the front. I mean that is what USUALLY wears first right?? Well,....the front pads were fine!! about 60% left on em. Well, I then decided that this noise was somethin' else. But the annoying scraping noise came back. Ok. so I checked the rear pads. OMG...the driver side was worn to the metal. The passenger side was worn but not equally to that of the driver side...(go figure). Well all replaced now. The rotor was not too bad, so replacement was not necessary. Oh,.. the turning of the rear cylinder thingy, to make room for the new pads was interesting. Thank goodness for the internet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i'll definitely keep those in mind...i'm just going to get the factory replacement until the warranty expires...it will give me time to save up for some quality product :D

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Oh... if your under warranty make them fix it. I was at 45k when I changed mine. now Im pushing 80,000!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
im new to the board. we have a 05 g6. it has 50k on it. havent had any problems with the rotors. just the break pads. bought new ones and the damn things squeek like crazy. i took them off and took sand paper to the rotors. and to the pads. that stopped them for about 30 miles. lol. and now they are doing it again. .... i dont know what to do.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
I bought anti-squeel and painted the pad with it on install.
If you get some remember to Only put it on the side of the pad that faces the caliper.....not the side that faces the rotor!! Mine are silent and sweeeeet.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
yah i go thru rotors like water. however the good news: buy duralast gold parts from autozone, not the best, but you will be replacing them before the warenty runs out, and all the bolts are never going to be hard to get off.
plus the whole pad/caliper job is pretty easy to do also. i'm redoing my rears for free (thanks to the warenty) this weekend!

·
Registered
81 Posts
ah boo...you can't brake hard but ONCE before these things get warped again...i guess i have to learn to drive more passively...honestly, these are the worst stock brakes i've ever had on a vehicle

looking into Brakemotive SD rotors and Evolution ceramic pads...anybody use/used these? reviews?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I dont have a G6, but I did have crappy stock brakes on my Accord. I replaced them with Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads with great results. Bout to do the same on my girls 07 G6. Found em for $212 shipped

·
Registered
555 Posts
I changed mine out around 30k miles ago.
I got R1's and Akebono ceramic pads.
Did you get the premium or e-line R1's?

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
yah i go thru rotors like water. however the good news: buy duralast gold parts from autozone, not the best, but you will be replacing them before the warenty runs out, and all the bolts are never going to be hard to get off.
plus the whole pad/caliper job is pretty easy to do also. i'm redoing my rears for free (thanks to the warenty) this weekend!
Thats what I had on my old car, duralast gold ceramic pads and rotors have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
470 Posts
go figure this. I was hearing "scraping" noises so I decided that @74k miles, it was time to check/replace the pads, especially the front. I mean that is what USUALLY wears first right?? Well,....the front pads were fine!! about 60% left on em. Well, I then decided that this noise was somethin' else. But the annoying scraping noise came back. Ok. so I checked the rear pads. OMG...the driver side was worn to the metal. The passenger side was worn but not equally to that of the driver side...(go figure). Well all replaced now. The rotor was not too bad, so replacement was not necessary. Oh,.. the turning of the rear cylinder thingy, to make room for the new pads was interesting. Thank goodness for the internet.
As one set of pads wore faster than the other, I'd be cautious of the proportioning valve. A bad valve will put more pressure on other pads, causing uneven wear, and too much pressure in a line can cause a whole other slew of problems if left alone. It's like the old saying: A fuse blew, so don't just replace the fuse, but find out the source of why the fuse blew before it keeps costing you more fuses, and leads to a fire. So, um, yeah.

i'll definitely keep those in mind...i'm just going to get the factory replacement until the warranty expires...it will give me time to save up for some quality product :D
I'm not sure if they're available for the G6, but PowerSlot rotors are the one's I'd go with. My 6 has low miles, with no brake issues, but even for a sporty car, I still drive it relatively conservative.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone know of a good reliable website to go to get these R1's and Akebono ceramic pads?

And should we go with the premium or e-line R1's? My wife has an 06 G6 that is out of warranty (bought in '05...)

Within reason, I don't care how much the rotors/pads cost - I just want them to last and have more reliable braking!

(The stock brakes, with only 10k miles on them, were shaking and realllly heating up at the bottom of a long hill. It was actually kind of scary. So I want some good, reliable, long-lasting brakes and rotors.)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts