Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is for the front rotors? I checked on the rotors themselves but culdnt see any markings? Also, I have a gt so I got front pads for that model, but the car has base model pads on it. Any idea what's up with that?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Did you pull the rotor off completely? Im pretty sure its stamped on the inside of the hub.
I thought it may be listed in the chiltons book but isnt...

How do you know it has base model pads? Unless they've been replaced with cheapo pads it should be the same. I buy gt pads for my base model. About two years back autozone changed part numbers and split some for base and some for gt. What used to be a base model part number is now a gt part number.

As far as I'm aware the brakes are the same regardless of trim. The only real difference is if you have ABS or not. Non ABS rotors are smaller in diameter it seems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled it off and didn't see anything. Autozone has pads for gt and base. The gt ones are long and rectangular shaped. The base are more square. I was pretty upset that the thickness wasn't listed in the book too. That was the first place I looked.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a real quick google search and I'm not the only one that's had a problem with the front pads on an 05 gt.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Oh I didn't think about it until now, but maybe yours is confusing with the brakes because its an 05. First year of production. That's odd it has the wrong pads on. I'd recommend getting new rotors and pads.

Reason is I had my stock rotors resurfaced at 30k and as soon as they got hot they would warp like crazy, once they cooled down it was nice and smooth again. So I got some new OEM style R1 Concepts rotors and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Rotors should be 1.023 in (26 mm) when new, discard rotors when the thickness is 0.898 in (22.8 mm)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts