Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes while sitting in a drive through my 2010 G6 (2.4L) seems to idle a bit rough for a few seconds sporadically, the RPMS will drop slightly and my headlights dim then it goes back to normal a few seconds later, it's like it stutters a bit. My battery is only 6 months old, so I was thinking it could be related to my alternator/belts possibly? Or is this normal? I do have 131k miles and original motor mounts so I was thinking it could be related to those as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, if you don't have a battery light coming on I would suspect a pulley is beginning to seize up. If you only notice it at idle and it's intermittent it's probably when the A/C clutch is engaging and putting more drag on the system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the belt and tensioner replaced recently, but the AC compressor is the original one from 2010 so I am guessing it's starting to go bad? Can I be proactive and replace the clutch or will I need an entire new compressor? I can't remember if I had the A/C on or not when this happened.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The A/C clutch will engage even when defrost is on. I would get the car to operating temperature, open the hood and have someone turn A/C or defrost on, you'll be able to hear the clutch engage with a click usually and if thats when your problem occurs I would suspect the compressor. It will only be available as a complete unit and you'll need to recover and recharge the freon when it's being replaced. Another way to do it would be to unplug the compressor connector so it never engages and drive around, if you still have the problem then it's not the compressor.

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
the battery is only used for starting the car.it runs off the alternator.what is happening is when your idle drops the alternator voltage drops and the lights dim.you might want to find out why its idling badly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts