Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Riding On Gold
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 2006 Pontiac g6 3.5 4 speed auto, I just replaced my spark plugs and spark plug wire and my car is idle very rough when I come to a stop the rpm needle is jumping from about 700 to 800 and I ran my code reader it said I have a misfire in cylinder 4 so I took out my plug and reinstalled it and it not running the code anymore but it's still running rough any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
How was it running before you replaced the plugs and wires? Is it possible you swapped some wires? Maybe a wire is loose on the plug or on the coil, All the plugs are nice and tight and gapped correctly? Also all went in without cracking I hope. I had a cracked spark plug cause quite a bunch of issues.

·
Riding On Gold
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was running the same way before I did the spark plugs and wires that why I changed them and I installed them all good and checked all the plugs last night and I bought pregapped plugs and checked them before install as well

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
P0304
very rough idle

There are many possibilities.

So it runs fine except while idling?

Could be an intake air leak that affects #4 more than the others.

Could be a bad/clogged #4 fuel injector.

Ever cleaned the MAF sensor & throttle body?

Did any work occur just prior to the onset of the symptoms?

·
Riding On Gold
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes well driving it's fine and im going to clean the The Maf sensor and throttle body this weekend and I ran a system leakage test and it appears there's no leaks, and no there was no work done prior to the rough idle, and let's say it is an injector how difficult would they be to change? Or is there a cleaner that will really do the job? Mind you I'm in Canada I may not e able to get everything the states has

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yes well driving it's fine and im going to clean the The Maf sensor and throttle body this weekend and I ran a system leakage test and it appears there's no leaks, and no there was no work done prior to the rough idle, and let's say it is an injector how difficult would they be to change? Or is there a cleaner that will really do the job? Mind you I'm in Canada I may not e able to get everything the states has
Very rough idle but runs fine at higher RPM:

Air:
That sounds a lot like an intake air leak that affects #4 more than the others. A scan tool would tell you what's happening to the fuel trim...unfortunately most folks don't own one.

Fuel:
I wouldn't replace anything until you verify it's condition. Since it's #4 you have it easier. Start with an injector resistance test on #4:

Spark:
Verify you have good spark from plug #4 at idle.

·
Riding On Gold
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I'm going to run a scan again I'll get the fuel trim numbers, do you know the numbers it's surrposed to be at? And I'll check my spark as well, I'll have to post tomorrow because I do not have service out at my place and thank you for your help so far

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Ok I'm going to run a scan again I'll get the fuel trim numbers, do you know the numbers it's surrposed to be at? And I'll check my spark as well, I'll have to post tomorrow because I do not have service out at my place and thank you for your help so far
What scan tool do you have?

·
Riding On Gold
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No it smooths out right away without hesintation and my check engine light came on again so I'll see what it is when I get home and scan it

·
Riding On Gold
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it doesn't smooth out completely when I turn on heat or ac but it smooths put in comparison.

·
Riding On Gold
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright so I cleane my maf sensor and throttle body and it's running a little smoother but it's still rough I'm going to take it to get looked at and I'll post what I find out thanks for the help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright so I cleane my maf sensor and throttle body and it's running a little smoother but it's still rough I'm going to take it to get looked at and I'll post what I find out thanks for the help

same thing happening to me right now car shakes at idle... if i turn the ac on it idle fine.....

i would like to know what was the output

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have the same problem.. Rough idle.. Jumpy idle when no ac.. When i put ac on its unnoticeable.. Anyone find a solution to the problem??

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I wonder if the ecm would complain if one were to drill and tap the throttle for a small idle control port. My old gp had one built in and I just had to adjust the screw to let a little more air in. I'm going to be replacing my TB soon. Maybe I'll give it a go and see what happens.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I wonder if the ecm would complain if one were to drill and tap the throttle for a small idle control port. My old gp had one built in and I just had to adjust the screw to let a little more air in. I'm going to be replacing my TB soon. Maybe I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Our cars dont need idle control valves since the throttle body is electronic, the ECM just actuates the throttle body to control idle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts