Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a quick question regarding rpms.. driving at 80k/hr and im at 1500 rpms? is that normal? I do not know much about cars, but i drive a friends mercedes sometimes.. and at 80km/h im at 2500 rpm

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
How fast is 80k? lol

Sorry...dum Texan here. I can do about 55pmh at 1500rpm....

So sounds normal to me.

Then again my son's LS1 Z28 has a stock Hurst 6 speed manual so he can be running 80mph at 1500 easy. lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
I run approx 1900rpm in my 3.29 axle GT with auto-stick trans. Not sure what the OD ratio is, but I know the standard V6 has a 3.09 (approx) axle ratio which lowers highway engine speed slightly. I know around 70km/h the engine barely turns over, around 1300rpm.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Base V6 with the 3.05 final ratio runs around 1600 rpm at 60 mph (96 km/h).

Lower engine speed saves gas but produce less horsepower. It's a trade-off.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Base V6 with the 3.05 final ratio runs around 1600 rpm at 60 mph (96 km/h).

Lower engine speed saves gas but produce less horsepower. It's a trade-off.
Trade offs can be good, too! If I drove a lot of miles, I'd prefer the 3.05 axle ratio, not just for better mileage, but for lowered engine wear, and perhaps, longer component life as well. Still, the auto-stick is still my fav transmission when the weather is GREAT.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Trade offs can be good, too! If I drove a lot of miles, I'd prefer the 3.05 axle ratio, not just for better mileage, but for lowered engine wear, and perhaps, longer component life as well. Still, the auto-stick is still my fav transmission when the weather is GREAT.
I can squeeze out about 33 MPG on the highway doing anywhere between 60-70. I don't know how much more I could get out of a regular V6, but I'm sure not complaining. The only time I use the auto stick is when I'm in PA and going down the mountains; upshift so I don't burn up the brakes.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Trade offs can be good, too! If I drove a lot of miles, I'd prefer the 3.05 axle ratio, not just for better mileage, but for lowered engine wear, and perhaps, longer component life as well.
Yes, but up to a point. If the engine speed is too low, a few problems can occur:

the engine can lug when it doesn't produce enough power. lugging put lots of stress on the engine. engine wear and engine parts damage can occur.

the engine may not be running at its optimum temperature. it will run cooler with lower engine speeds. cooler engines can cause excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, which eventually can cause engine damage and shorten engine life.

There are just so many factors and trade-offs involved it just depends on what is important to you. Driving habits and maintenance history have the biggest effect on engine life these days, rather than engine size or engine speed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes, but up to a point. If the engine speed is too low, a few problems can occur:

the engine can lug when it doesn't produce enough power. lugging put lots of stress on the engine. engine wear and engine parts damage can occur.

the engine may not be running at its optimum temperature. it will run cooler with lower engine speeds. cooler engines can cause excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, which eventually can cause engine damage and shorten engine life.

There are just so many factors and trade-offs involved it just depends on what is important to you. Driving habits and maintenance history have the biggest effect on engine life these days, rather than engine size or engine speed.
I concur. There are other factors involved. As I don't do a lot of high speed, commuting on interstates the lower axle ratio is the one I go with. Just like my Dodge Durango R/T. It's a beast and tows great at 55mph as it has a low 3.92 axle ratio allowing the lower end of the powerband (2600rpm at 1:1 gear) to pull up anything with 5.5K attached to the hitch.

As for mileage, I really can't comment much on my G6 GT. It's mostly 50/50 city/highway mix lately, and the highways here are 50-60mph. I think GM would have been better off to offer the auto-stick as an option in the base V6 cars. If I had to rough estimate it, I'd put my 50/50 driving around 21-23mpg. My Taurus gets a bit less, as it's a heavier vehicle. My Dodge. well, it gets gpm, not mpg.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The number of engine choices and final ratios and transmissions available are ridiculous for the G6. Yes I think the 6-speed auto-stick should be standard across the board for all G6s. Better performance with better gas mileage. Having an ancient 4-speed auto in a sporty car is just stupid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts