Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Rubber squeaking noise front driver side

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SqueakyBoy 
#1 ·
2007 g6 3.5 4D

So I've read through pages of this and seen people with similar issues but no answer.

There is a cyclical rubber squeaking noise coming from the front driver side. It isn't the breaks! It happens usually after a left turn and only at speeds under 40 km/h. It definitely follows the turning of the tires and not any engine belt.

Probably related is the steering wheel has a harder time (maybe 10% more) turning left than right but it's not noticeable unless you know the car well. It's also not the control arm or CV axle those have been checked.

I'm thinking it's some sort of alignment issue even though I had one less than a year ago but the steering wheel thing seems even more likely.

If anyone has anything even remotely similar please tell me what you did and what was the cause since I'm at a loss here.

#2 ·
Rotational noise that varies as you steer could be the wheel hub bearings, but that is more of a whining noise than a squeak in my experience. Other items in motion as you steer would be the tie rod ends (boot / ball joint), the same on the sway bar links, the lower control arm bearing and also the hat of the strut towers. Hope you are able to narrow it down and fix it.

#3 ·
You're right it's not the bearing I checked that. The best way to describe the sound is if you were to push onto the tire and rotate it on the road to create a rubber squeak.

So while driving around a parking lot it seems that a full left turn does "activate" the sound which stays unless I tug the steering wheel to the right. A normal right turn doesn't turn off the sound but the tug usually does. I don't know much about the steering functions but looking online it sounds like the issue people have with memory steer which means it doesn't fully return to the middle when rotating the steering wheel back.

Could it be something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.