Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and read and read and have not seen a similar issue thus far. While I was deployed my wife put new tires on her 06 V6 with 54k and got an alignment and all the works and all was well... then that sunday when she went to church in a rural area and had to drive on curvy roads and complained that the front end of her car slid when going around curves... My thought is "she got new tires and the car handles better" so I tell her it will go away and no more issues... till the next sunday. So I have her go get another alignment and all the tires balanced again. Same issue. Well I get home and drive the car to see what the big deal was... OMG :eek: when you go around a sharp curve or long sweeping curve at decent speed (45-70) the front end seems to shift to the outside of the curve and you loose control for a breif second. Its not a shimmy or anything like that, its a sudden sliding feeling. It doesnt feel like the tires are loosing traction at all its as is the front of the car is shifting on the front axle (IFS I know... Im a Jeep guy.) Anyone have this issue? Every car nut I have talked to gives me the eye brow.... Thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
If you can get the whole front end in the air. Once up check for ANY LOOSE MOVEMENT. Sway bars, End links, etc. just grab everything and try n move em around...

Then again the shop that did the alignment should have checked for worn components.

but it never hurts to check

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Get a mechanic to drive it and show him what you are talking about. Sometimes its best to just show them instead of describe it.

That's all I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my floor jack and lifted it up and yanked on everything i could get ahold of. I checked every suspension related componet and bushing and couldnt find anything loose or with abnormal wear. Guess I will take it to a mechanic and have them drive it down a curvy road. Would the Toe or caster have anything to do with it? I may print off the factory specs from pontiac and see if my wife has the sheet from the tire store to cross refrence (if they gave her one, Im sure she didnt ask for it)
Thanks again guys!
Jake

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Hmm. While going around the turn do you hear anything abnormal, or feel anything abnormal.
Anything at all. Even if it seems like nothing, could be the real problem.

Maybe check the sturts or strut towers. Maybe they did an alignment and left some bolts loose. Like under the hood on the strut tower. Or down at the hub/knuckle.
It's weird it sounds like something is just...loose. Struts, Wheel bearings, Sub Frame, Control arms, Steering Rack. Its not even really possible for any of that to be loose. But this sounds pretty scary and I would check the hell out of as much as I can, Front AND Rear.

Multiple mechanics too. Multiple drives and opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts