Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear about the sound and hp gains of deletion of the 2nd cats, but I have afew questions.
1. what exactly are the 2nd cats?
2. would you delete and replace with straight muffler?
3. What would it sound similar to? im assuming the change would not be great with a 3.5 liter:rolleyes:
4. HP gains? (im sure its minimal)
5. Woulda muffler shop do this procedure

THANK YOU

also i have intake and aftermarket muffler, would those impact these changes?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are you refering to the resonator? I dont see many people removing cats. alot of people delete the resonator though. But as for sound it helps make your sound a little louder bit possibly more raspy.. if your talking about the resonator.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i wasnt talking about the resonator, ive heard mixed emotions on doing that.
in taking about the secondary cats behind the cat converter, replacing it with a straight pipe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i ahve an 08 g6 3.5
also i was thinking about jsut removing the resonator, because i havea flowmaster muffler, so i think itd turn out sounding good

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Removing the 3rd cat will result in some extra hp (I know with the GT-R Sam has said in the past that it makes a 6 hp difference), but is an emissions violation that will subject you to various consequences depending on your state. I've heard NJ has a pretty hefty fine for failing inspection for it, but I don't know what that is.

The justification you can make is that 05-07 had the exact same system without the 3rd cat, so it's not like you're making it any worse than similar cars still on the road, but still...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts