Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though it’s convenient for the driver or front seat passenger to operate the folding top while seated in the car, a switch mounted in the center of the windshield header isn’t my favorite location. I’d really like to be able to operate the top easily from outside the car so I can watch the operation and see signs of impending trouble (ie: bat wings that don’t fold properly or any other part that’s not monitored by a sensor that would normally halt top operation). I found some old threads about efforts to use a wireless remote fob, but I don’t really need that. What I do now is stand on the driver’s side with the door open, reach in through the open door and clumsily operate the switch until the top is open enough for me to stand up straight. If the top switch was instead on the left end of the dashboard (for example), that would be easily reachable and suit me fine.

I found something I’m going to try when spring comes and I’m able to work outside again. The picture attached is of a switch pod from the left end of the dashboard. I pulled if from a car that had the adjustable pedals option so it has the normal instrument light rheostat and in this case the fore/aft switch for the pedals. It’s a spring loaded, 3 position, center off switch similar in operation to the folding top switch. If wired in parallel with the top switch, it would be perfect for my needs as it’s easily reachable from outside the car allowing the top operation to be watched from start to finish. And, the original switch would be retained. According to the service manual, the harness for the normal top switch runs up the driver’s side to the windshield header (I think), so I should be able to reach the wiring behind the kick panel. The pod itself just snaps into the dash and I found several cars at the local Pull-N-Save yard that had adjustable pedals where I bagged a couple of these pods.

Don’t know if anyone else here would be interested in a second switch. Or, perhaps it’s been done and someone else has experience with it already. If there’s interest, I’ll write it up. And, if anyone knows a reason why it won't work or has a tip, let me know.

Good luck everyone and I hope your New Year is starting out well! - Mark

pedalpod.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am very interested in this. Not necessarily because i want the convenience of doing it outside the car, but mainly because I drive far back in the car (6' 5" with long legs) so I slide the seat all the way back etc, and that leaves the convertible top switch further than i'd prefer. So, being able to hit it from a more convenient position would be nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts