Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Security Light + Car not turning on

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Convertme 
#1 ·
So for the past 2 years or so, my 2009 Pontiac G6 GT has had some really bad track record, first finding out that there's a issue with my gas tank that causes the car to seize up and shut off both its engine and the power steering if I fill it up to full (Literally day one of buying the car and driving it away from previous owner, had to have my dad drive it home) but that was a simple work around until we can get the gas filter thing replaced by just not filling it up all the way... Then later finding out that the pump we were GOING to replace is on the OTHER side of my gas tank, above my main control arm so we'd have to take my car into a workshop to fully be able to get under it to replace it without breaking my control arm.... THEN... After everything seemed better, someone attempted to break into my Pontiac by trying to pry open my door with their bare hands (Yes there were handprints all over my window, and the door was bent outward slightly, I close the door by putting my hand on the frame of the door so the windows are not touched by me) and since then it would warn me on my radio that my door is open and cause the interior lights to activate and drain my battery frequently, so my dad restarted the battery or whatever he did and it caused the door issue to "Go away" for the time being... Then it happened AGAIN not a few weeks later, except this time someone tried using a crowbar, there is now a dent in the corner of my door but they weren't successful, and since then... The security light (Car icon with a padlock) would blink when I turn on the car, didn't think anything of it cause the car was dinging at me cause of the sensor thinking the door is open when it's fully shut, a reset that my dad did before "Fixed" it once more and I went about my day driving to and from work in my Pontiac.

But now, as of a few weeks ago, I drove my car to work, locked it with my dongle (Clicked twice on lock button just in case like I usually did), did my thing at work, was on break, unlocked my car, drove it not even 3 minutes away but only had 10 minutes to get a snack or something, drove it back, locked it again, then finished my work day.... Got in my car... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAND it didn't turn on, it would activate the battery stuff such as radio, headlights, interior lights, everything that was connected to the battery turned on, however... The starter did not do the click click click it should do when you start the vehicle, in fact it did NOTHING when I turned the key to turn it on, I tried it like 10 times, had to leave my car at work and get it towed home, my dad thought it was a starter issue (Which it actually WAS an issue, cause when he tested it, it didn't spin like it should) so we got that replaced, didn't work, car still didn't turn on, so we thought it was that little anti-theft sensor on my ignition that either died or forgot my key so we replaced that and got it to work with my key, still didn't work, car refused to turn on!

My dad today has informed me that the security light (Again the car icon with the padlock) was on the entire time he was replacing the sensor, so my question is....

What are we suppose to do? The car refuses to turn on, battery is fine, starter and sensor are replaced, door isn't aligned though, and the security light is on when he gets in my car.

If anyone can help with this that'd be GREATLY appreciated, I'd love to be able to drive my Pontiac again ?

See less See more
#3 ·
This is "Dad".....
Should I reinstall the old anti-theft key sensor considering it has his key in its memory? Or is it deleted since disconnection?
The radio does not display "DOOR AJAR" at all. I should still consider looking at his door latch assembly for a short or inop switch?
I literally have his instrument panel temp installed, radio & environmental panel dangling, & his glove box removed. And that was just get access to his ignition switch & anti-theft sensor.

#5 ·
Was posted as a HUNCH from what was described. I only recently got our G6 and come from a long history of MOPAR brand cars. I've NOT worked on a similar problem your son has encountered to be able to give you precise "fix" info. We are car owners here and not a tech service, maybe others will come to reply to this thread with more knowledge to help the two of you in this problem.
Good Luck.."Dad"! :)

#6 ·
It may be useful to see if you can get your hands on a more advanced scanner like a tech II. One that can read the DTC's from the security module and reset the security system. If you have an other set of keys it may also be worth giving them a go. There is a transponder in the ignition key that needs to be detected for the car to start I believe (should be a "plus in a circle" embossed on the key to show it has a transponder). There may be an antenna or related transponder detection issue. Sorry that it is a complete guess, hence the scanner suggestion. Hope you get it fixed,

#7 ·
Coincidentally,I was looking for some information on the pass-key iii security and ignition switch. Your symptoms sounds very familiar to what I was reading. I did not save the post. Oops!! If you search key words "pass-key iii " I am sure that it will come up again.
In my humble opinion, I do not think that you have done enough to rule this out at this point.
I think the post I am referring to suggests that after several attempts to relearn you may have to go to dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.