Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the owner's manual and it only mentions briefly RKE and Passive settings, but I can't find any detail on what these 2 settings do. Here is the problem: The alarm does not disable when we press the unlock button on the key fob. We have to start the car to disable the alarm. We tried switching from RKE to Passive and vice versa on the Info Center, but it does not seem to make any difference. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
These are the types of questions I have been waiting for :)

Let me explain how I think it works. BTW if you are French-Canadian and have your G6 set up to display French you are going to really get confused - those who have done this will know what I am talking about :)

These settings in the DIC control how the Content Theft alarm system arms. You cannot turn this system completely OFF, you can only control WHEN or IF it arms.

Content Theft is feature of the vehicle where, when armed, if someone opens any door, trunk or hood (on remote start-equipped vehicle) without disarming the system the lights will flash and horn will honk to hopefully attract attention. This system doesn't have any type of glass breakage or motion sensor.

RKE stands for Remote Keyless Entry and is kind of a misnomer used regarding content theft but I won't get into that. Anyways when your system is set into this mode the Content Theft system will only be armed when you LOCK the doors using the Remote Keyless Fob or the door lock switches on either the Driver or front Passenger Door. If you don't lock the vehicle doors the Content Theft system will not be armed. It gets too complicated to try here to explain how long you have to wait until the system is armed so let's just say it varies.

Passive means that the vehicle will automatically arm the content theft system without any driver action (i.e., you don't have to lock the doors). The time this takes again varies but I believe is typically 1 minute.

One thing that can confuse you is that the Security Telltale in the instrument panel cluster will flash in a "simulated" armed mode even when the vehicle Content Theft system is NOT armed.

So under most conditions you will find that after a certain amount of time this Security Telltale in your cluster will be flashing no matter what you do. There is an exception to this but I will leave that for a follow-up.

When the content theft system is armed the only methods to disarm are to UNLOCK the vehicle with the key fob or turn the ignition ON. So TheMonk, if you are truly pressing the unlock button on the key fob (and the doors unlock), opening the driver door and finding that the horn is "chirping" in preparation for going into a full alarm mode I would say that something might be not working correctly on your vehicle.

Question.........when you turn off the ignition in your vehicle does that Security Telltale in your cluster immediately begin to flash quickly? Also do the door lock switches on your doors work OK (lock and unlock the doors).

Enough for now :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In response to your questions:
Question.........when you turn off the ignition in your vehicle does that Security Telltale in your cluster immediately begin to flash quickly? Also do the door lock switches on your doors work OK (lock and unlock the doors).

No, the telltale does not immediately begin to flash quickly.
Yes, the door lock switches work fine (both lock and unlock).

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry....in my original post I failed to mention a crucial point....I don't have the factory auto starter, but I do have a after-market auto starter installed by a certified company. I think this is where the problem is. The symptoms I described in my original post DON'T happen with the factory key fob but only with the after-market key fob. My wife will be using the factory fobs without the auto start button until the company that installed the auto starter fixes the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
e2helper said:
When the content theft system is armed the only methods to disarm are to UNLOCK the vehicle with the key fob or turn the ignition ON. So TheMonk, if you are truly pressing the unlock button on the key fob (and the doors unlock), opening the driver door and finding that the horn is "chirping" in preparation for going into a full alarm mode I would say that something might be not working correctly on your vehicle.
Just one addition, according to the owner’s manual, at least the one you can download from mygmlink.com, the alarm can be disarmed by turning the driver’s door key lock cylinder counterclockwise. (See Page 2-17)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked for that 2-page supplement, but can't find it. I will contact the dealer to see if they can get me one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It is included in documentation for customer satisfaction campaign 04088 although I don't know how good of copy it is when printed out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I found it, but it does not help us. The company that installed the after-market remote starter is looking into shutting off the car's alarm completely with GM's approval.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am curious if your vehicle had the factory remote start system and you wanted to go with aftermarket due to more features/better range or did you go with aftermarket because the vehicle you bought didn't have option?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is my story....
Our G6 never came with the factory remote starter. Before we purchased the G6, we wanted it, but when I found out the range was not as far as a high quality after-market starter I started changing my mind. The G6 is my wife's daily driver. She is a teacher and parks a good distance away from the school on occasion, so I did not want to chance the factory remote not reaching from inside the school. She works in an area that receives alot of snow and heavy winds. The straw that broke the camel's back is that my wife's uncle owns a company that installs glass, after-market remote starters, accessories, etc. That means any problems with the remote starter and her uncle and/or staff is on the issue asap. I just talked to him....he is still working with GM to get some answers.

You can see why I made my decision, right?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thx for details. So is the aftermarket remote start working already or are they still trying to figure out how to disable the vehicle's Passkey 3+ theft deterrent system?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything works with the aftermarket fob (i.e., unlock, lock, trunk, and auto-start) except for the disabling of the alarm. We will bring the car into her uncle's shop next week so he can shut off the alarm completely. He said the security icon on the dash will display when we lock the car but it will not actually activate the alarm (just a deterrent thing). Hope it works. I will keep you informed. Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thx again for reply.

I am kind of curious on how they get auto-start to work (must have bypassed the vehicle theft system somehow). When you mention disabling of the alarm are you talking about the horn honking, light flashing one or one that causes the vehicle to stall?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I mention disable, I mean the horn honking, light flashing alarm.

I don't know how they got the autostart to work, some type of electrical bypass or relay I would think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, all is working fine now with the aftermarket fob. They bypassed the security system all together by turning on the radio when we unlock the doors (with remote and/or key). I don't know any details, but they said it was pretty complex. That's right, when we unlock the doors, the radio turns on. The security icon on the dash still shows when the doors are locked. This is what we wanted. No horn chirp/honk and no lights flashing. Kinda weird, but functional none the less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts