Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Serious Problem

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sla31 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was driving home last night very late. It was about 2:30 in the morning, and me and my girlfriend were on our way back from Lawrence, KS where we had been at a Relient K/Owl City concert. When things started going very bad with the electrical system in the car. First all the lights on my steering wheel went dead. Then all the lights on the air condition controls and defoger and such went dead. Next was the lights on the doors for the windows and locks. But wait there is more!!!! The transmission lights went out next the drive park reverse lights I was getting kind of worried lol. Next the little nob that turns the brightness of the Instrument panel up and down stopped working. But I'm not done yet. The head lights began to flicker from brights to dims with out me doing anything. Needless to say I got pulled over on this 3 hour drive home, but not for the reason I thought. I thought the officer was going to say something about my headlights, but he brought to my attention that my tail lights were not working. He was very understanding and just told me to be safe the rest of the way home. Now I have a appointment at the dealer at 1:00 this afternoon to have the electrical system worked on. The car is only a few months old so it is covered by the warranty, but I am still not to thrilled lol. :D That's the end of that story.

#3 ·
I blame the Hammerhead spoiler :axechase:

Seriously, sorry to hear of your troubles, and on a new car too :eek: So much for inspiring confidence. FWIW this is the 5th Pontiac I've owned and I've had very good reliabilty with them overall

#6 ·
Don't get me wrong. I love Pontiac. I've had my G5 now for 2 years and it hasn't had any problems at all. Sometimes stuff happens I still love my G6. It is all being covered under warranty anyways.

#5 ·
Well I took the car in to the dealer today, bc I can't be driving around at night with the way it is now. And they said that vibrations through the car made the wires rub against the door and caused then to fray and eventually split causing systems to eventually fail. I don't know. That explanation just didn't seem to sound quite right to me. Anyone have any idea if that happens?

#7 ·
It is certainly possible, (if it was installed wrong from the start or used the wrong gauge of wire). Electrical systems are usually close to impossible to troubleshoot because of the many different variables like this one. I'm surprised they found that so quickly. Hope it didn't cost you an arm and a leg.

#8 ·
It is certainly possible, (if it was installed wrong from the start or used the wrong gauge of wire). Electrical systems are usually close to impossible to troubleshoot because of the many different variables like this one. I'm surprised they found that so quickly. Hope it didn't cost you an arm and a leg.
Nope it was all covered under warranty so it didn't cost me anything :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.