Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to change the belt 100000 miles
i pulled the engine mount but the belt goes under another bracket that has about 3 more bolts the will be difficult to get out, as they are against the frame.
I did not get a picture of it, everything i see on You Tube has a shock mount I do not its the 2 piece aluminum mount attached to a looks like cast iron mount on the engine

Any help ??

I was able to swap the idler and 3 other pulleys

·
Registered
324 Posts
i just changed my 07 3.9 liter belt. 08 may be different but from what you are describing i don't think so. the belt runs under a small spacer.
1. remove air box
2. loosen the bolt closest the bolt that runs through the spacer.
3. remove the spacer bolt. to remove the spacer i had to pry the bracket back slightly. the spacer will come out.
4. change belt
5. reverse through steps-- 3.2.1
finished
the convertible is slightly different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is looking down , I attempted to rotate the picture better but not so
I don’t think I have room to get that both out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't think you need to get the lower bolts out. If I am looking at it correctly it is the bolt on the top left of the picture you remove. The thicker piece with the arrow is the shim that comes out and you can remove the belt. Drove me nuts swearing at the designers before I worked this out :). Hope this helps

·
Registered
324 Posts
The bolt that you need to only loosen is not in the picture. it runs through the motor mount slightly lower than the spacer bolt and to the rear of the car. Hopefully to make a little clearer stay on the same side of the belt. Your pry bar also stays on the same side of the belt. Once you have the spacer bolt out, You only need to pry the space open a couple thousands of an inch. You want to be careful that your pry Bar ( I used a large screw driver about 16 inches long but it could have been longer) does not slide off at the lower end. I have assumed that you need to pry the space open but maybe you will be lucky enough not to.
good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts