Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are multiple posts on here concerning all of the G6 steering issues. I had my own set of issues start a few months back. It was the clicking/popping on slow turns. They did the "lubrication kit" and that fixed it for only a few weeks. When I got that fixed, they said it was no charge. Is that because there was a Service Bulletin?

Currently, my car is really pulling to the right. It's gotten a little worse in just a day or so. The steering wheel constantly sits cock-eyed to the right. However, if I play around with it (while stopped, of course) and quickly turn left- it is slow to go back to the center... quickly turn right... well, it just stays to the right probably 20-25 degrees or so. I always have a clunky/thumpy sound in the front-end---not really "under the hood" and not in the steering. I have noticed there was a Service Bulletin for not only the sounds in the steering column, but also one that says "Steering - Front End Clunk/Rattle on Turns/Bumps (June 08)"-- that is definitely my other issue.

I am going to take my car into the dealership tomorrow. I already have 64K miles on my baby, and am without warranty.

My main question is, do dealerships charge for things that are under Service Bulletins? I feel like (or we all know) that GM is just being cheap and not doing a recall on this steering problem (maybe bc it's apparently so extensive, hence expensive)... so are Service Bulletins the cheaper way to address the problem? Do they still pay for the work since it's a known GM issue? They just don't have to notify everyone like a recall...

I am hoping, bc of the Service Bulletin, that I won't have to be out any money. But I don't know.

Does it seem like my power steering is slowly going out? And/or are all of these issues causing my car to pull to the right (or is it another symptom of the bigger problem)

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Are you still on the original tires?

I think recalls are about the only way to get it free but I'd ask them...
Im not sure about TSB's.... I will ask.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I actually got new tires about 4000 miles ago. They're the Yokahoma's AV... i forget. but the good ones. They are great and I get better gas mileage with them. My tires look fine, but I guess I'll also have 'em switched around. Hopefully they don't show any strange wear.

thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
TSBs are performed at the expense of the customer. Sometimes if the problem is widespread and you complainted hard they might cover it under goodwill.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dealer said that for them to lube the I-shaft they do not charge. I just took mine in for the same thing. No more clunking!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, they apparently they goodwill the lubrication kit for the i-shaft. Unfortunately, more of my sound is coming from the front end, and it turns out it's the Steering Rack. So that'll be almost $700. GREAT! Oh, how I wish I had an 07 with/and/or a warranty. I've read on here that some people have had that replaced multiple times.... what in the world!?

I started this thread bc of the Service Bulletins question along with what's going on with my car... so I guess I should continue any of this talk in the new sub-forum? I dunno, I don't want to rock the apple cart... or whatever the saying is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts