Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a month ago I had a clogged fuel injector which caused a significant loss of power, fuel economy, higher shifts, etc..

I had the Terraclean service done which restored the loss of power and fuel economy but I still feel she is shifting too high. I asked the technician if it would be necessary to reset the PCM? disconnect the battery? or check the gear ratios. He said the best thing was to simply drive the car and let it relearn those values itself.

Basically, I can keep it under 2000 RPM going from 1st > 2nd but that is being extremely light footed while staring at the gauge. Typical driving 6cyl how it should be driven :) It's pushing 2500-3000rpm as it hits 2nd gear. I find this way too high and my concern is overworking the engine or transmission. If I really punch it while entering a highway it will climb to even 4000rpm. It never misses a gear or anything like that it just feels like it should be shifting sooner...

I realize the gear ratio in the G6's are different but I don't feel it should be shifting this high all the time. I was blaming it on the colder winter months and winter gas but I don't think that is the case now.

Do you guys suggest I have it hooked to the computer and perhaps tighten up the gear ratios? Would it reset itself if I just disconnect the battery for 1/2hr?

Edited: Forgot to mention she's an 05' G6 Sedan LX9? engine...

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Shaun

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think taking the battery of would only take it to the stock ECM settings and it would relearn your driving habits in around 70-80 miles.
Ive done this while working on the car(5-6 times) and notice its sluggish when i first reconnect the battery for a while. But i have and intake and exhaust.
If you don't have any mods it should be quicker since its doesnt really need to adjust much. I dont beleive the computer adjusts the trans though But im not positive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.