Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All im fromt he gaoc and a former Grand Am Owner. I am looking into trading my truck for a car and im really intrigued with the G6 but im SUPER nervous about buying a 1st year model. I had enough small issues with my second year last generation Grand Am.

What are the pro's and con's of this car? Any suggestion as far as options? Just looking for input as I am also considering the grand prix. Either Way i want a GT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I test drove the G6 and loved it, but i also drove the Grand Prix and liked the tightness and handling a little better

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am the same way, FireMedic. My mother and father refuse to let me buy a 2005 model because they don't trust the "first year jitters" on a car. I'm probably getting a 2006 GTP G6, I hope that will work out :/

·
Registered
304 Posts
We have not had any problems with ours. We bought March 7th this year, have over 4,500 miles on it already. From what I have read, I am glad we didn't get the Panoramic roof.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hambone said:
We have not had any problems with ours. We bought March 7th this year, have over 4,500 miles on it already. From what I have read, I am glad we didn't get the Panoramic roof.
Actually, I'm really glad that i got the Panoramic roof because i don't have as much problems as other people do, and i love being able to open my whole roof. It's like haveing a convertible without all the hassle. Besides, i think it looks really cool with it open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Upstate Super Cold and Snowy Northern New York and have no desire to have the panoramic roof becasue its too complicated and too many moving parts to get froze or abused by the salt thats thrown on our roads.

I'm leaning towards the Grand Prix...

·
Registered
314 Posts
It still boggles my mind that the G6 GTP is going to have a 3.9L engine, where as the Grand Prix V6 models only offer the 3.8L. I love the 3800 series motors, but I've heard only good things about the 3900's future so far.

I hear all GP V6's will eventually be standard with the 3900.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
It still boggles my mind that the G6 GTP is going to have a 3.9L engine, where as the Grand Prix V6 models only offer the 3.8L. I love the 3800 series motors, but I've heard only good things about the 3900's future so far.

I hear all GP V6's will eventually be standard with the 3900.
The 3.8L and the 3.9L engines are completely different. The 3.8L motor is finally on its way out. It's a great engine and it will be missed a lot. Next year, the grand prix will have 3 model levels. Grand Prix (3.8L Series III n/a), Grand Prix GT (3.8L Series III supercharged), Grand Prix GXP (5.3L LS4 V8). The new Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS will also get the V8.

I think I remember hearing that the new Impala and Monte Carlo (non SS models) will get the new DOHC 3.6L engine. The 3.8L will finally retire once the next-gen Grand Prix.

The 3900 is pretty much a revised version of the 3100. Hopefully the 3900 doesn't have the same LIM gasket problems as the 3100/3400. I also hope there is a better aftermarket for it too. My wife plans on replacing her 99 GAGT with a G6 GTP in a year or so.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm planning on getting a GTP as well, however, MotorTrend had said tests of the GTP had yielded less then pleasing results, saying that the GTP was very similar in terms of "power" and acceleration to the GT or Sedan models, so I have to test drive one befor eI make a decision on the GTP.

The fact that there is absolutely no difference in the body of a GTP (except for engraved leather and badging) also kinda makes me a sad panda, but you can't ask for it all.

If it doesnt perform much better then a GT, I'm just going to buy a GT; no sense in wasting money for a GTP when there is hardly any difference, and losing out considerably on gas milage.

Hopefully it lives up to its expectations; I certianly am hoping it will!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts