Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I bought my 2009 G6 base (2.4L) on April 30th, 2009 with a build date in August. My dealer just sent me a letter saying that I'm due for maintenance (oil, etc). Should I do it, even though I'm only at 1600 miles since it's been a year?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Hello!

I bought my 2009 G6 base (2.4L) on April 30th, 2009 with a build date in August. My dealer just sent me a letter saying that I'm due for maintenance (oil, etc). Should I do it, even though I'm only at 1600 miles since it's been a year?

Thanks,
Nick
If its free I would but only if its free. You'll get thoses pesky letters every three months.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIY or dealer?

Now the big debate on whether I take it to the dealer or do it myself. I have a jack and jackstands, as well as a pan to catch the oil in. Autozone has a deal for $27 for Valvoline SynPower and a Fram oil filter (I hope they don't charge extra for the G6 Ecotec's drop-in filter). However, the dealer sent me a coupon for a $21.95 oil change. I know the $21.95 offer doesn't include synthetic, but bleh. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
62 Posts
they would charge extra for that filter, and that deal expires Tomorrow..... it will be a different brand oil and filter after that.

The way those specials work they cover a portion of the cost of the filter up to an amount, bust they are still a fair deal.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I stopped at Autozone and picked up five quarts of Castrol EDGE and a Bosch filter. Yay. I'm planning on doing the actual change tonight, but I want to make sure that I'm doing things right, so here's my game plan:

1) Drain the oil from the bolt located at the front of the engine. I believe this is the oil pan plug. Pour a quarter of a quart into the engine and let it drain out, to get rid of the stuff in the pan.

2) Replace the oil filter. On these filters, do I need to "prime" them (pour fresh oil into them) like on conventional filters? Also, there was a large o-ring in the oil filter box. Where does that go?

3) Replace the cover and fill with 4 quarts of oil, check dipstick, fill as needed to full.

4) Check for leaks and make sure the drain plug and filter cover is secure.

5) Turn the engine on and hope for the best?

Anything I should know? I haven't done an oil change before, so any tips or warnings of caution would be helpful.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
62 Posts
nope, I've got the 3.5, Also the Autozone here does not have Edge yet, or a Bosch Filter for the 2.4.... Not that I am saying you have the wrong parts, you are just clearly in a different region.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I jacked the car up, it was quite obvious where it was. It's too hard to see where it is without it jacked up, and I couldn't fit my oil pan. The Autozone here had EDGE and the Bosch filter (3324). I compared the old filter to the new one and they were identical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts