Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here so I'll try to make this to the point:

I have a 2007 g6 gtp and it's around 100,000 mi now. I've had 2 main problems with it:

1) for the last few months, whenever I would put gas in the car and crank it up, it would stall, and recently wouldn't even crank up at all, unless i pressed on the gas while doing it. But any other time it would crank up fine.

2) Just last week, the car randomly started revving in the 3rd and 4th gear while I was only going 30 mph. Come to find out, it won't acknowledge 2nd gear, it jumps from 1st to 3rd gear, and it won't drive at all in reverse. I've since stopped driving it until i figure out what to do.

So should I just replace the entire transmission altogether? or is there a easier (and cheaper) fix? or am i possibly over looking something?

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I know on my Dodge, cleaning the IAC sensor helps, and/or replacing the throttle position sensor. A faulty TPS often surges engine rpm at a constant speed. The tps is also misdiagnosed as an internal transmission problem.

On the G6 I would bet it's something similar from what you described. Othere guys will chime in shortly...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check transmission control module. See if you have any codes from a OBD II reading. You could also disconnect your battery for about 10 mins. and after a reconnect see if it goes back to normal. If it does and then you get that same problem soon after, then your TCM could be faulty. When's the last time it had a trans. fluid and filter change?

·
Registered
638 Posts
well, sounds like you broke your 3-5-r wave plate so now you need a new transmission and TCM, you could have had it rebuilt if you had caught it when it was merely slipping but now a transmission replacement is your best option as you will surely now have chunks of metal lodge in the fluid passageways the TCM and the cooler lines and radiator that may or may not come out from a cleaning during a rebuild if you were lucky enough to not just plain destroy the entire transmission.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts