Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, in trying to help another user solve some A/C lag problems I finally found the source of a noise I've heard since I bought the car. On a cold start, usually the first start of the day right after the engine kicks over you'll hear a kind of knock. I thought it was the engine shifting after start up but I've come to learn it's the A/C kicking off.
Here's a video that showed me this.

The A/C is at the very top, you can just barely see the pulley and clutch.

You'll see it's engaged when the engine starts, then it quickly disengages.
Then I turn it on so it re-engages.

I'm wondering should the A/C do that? I've had a host of A/C issues when I first bought the car and was assured it's repaired and in good working order...

Here's that video:

Also the entire climate control was OFF. Until I switched it on after the engine was running.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
My compressor makes the same noise when I turn it off and on though I'm not sure about startup. I have the auto climate control and its hot out right now so the AC stays on when I start up. But I'll check after work and see how it goes.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the manual climate control. But If it's off it seems to be one while the engine starts and then quickly shut off, just seems odd..

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Was raining when I left work but I'll check in the morning when its cool out.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is a much better video I shot today.
First start of the day, the clutch on the A/C seems to engage during cranking and as soon as the engine fires up it'll disengage.
Climate Control was OFF

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Haven't been able to view your videos but the answer is no, the a/c clutch should not engage during engine cranking (or until the engine speed reaches 600 rpm for that matter).

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, Now I wonder what could be causing it, It's not a sticky clutch, I'm leaning more towards something sending the signal to the clutch during start up. It's not every time though...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've created a looped GIF from my video, It just cranks runs then restarts.

Seems to run a little fast, oh well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts