Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, what a weekend. Driving, speeding, down this road going to a friends house and Im not really paying attention and when I do regain my train of thought I almsot miss his entrance to his nieghborhood. Going way to fast and not thinking, I slam on the brakes and take a hard right. Car TCS kicks in, brakes screeching, I slam right into a curb going atleast 60, could be more or less. My eyes really weren't on the speedometer. My eyes were on the palm trees I almost wrap my car around. If I hadn't turned hard enough or woulda been alittle fast I woulda ended up with a few airbags blown and god knows what else.

So yeah, car hits the curb in a sharp turn. Huge bang and I drive the car off to the side. I get down from the car and get past all the smoke from the tires and see my front drivers side tire hitting up against the front of the driver side door, WAY OFF center... huge shreds of tire all over the ground and some still hanging from the front tire(some were like 2ft long and reallyTHICK). I get a closer look at the car and theres really nothing left of the wheelwell. Its all tore up and wedged between the tire and the car. The "chromo-tech" rim is cracked and some pieces of the metal on the floor. The bottom plastic claddin along the doors is bent down cause the tire hit it down and dragged it. Minor body damage. Bassically, the biggest thing I saw was of course the fron axel...

So that was friday. Today I heard what the rough estimate is for repairs and hear what was damaged. Bassically:

Bent/broke the front axel
Something about my driveshaft?
Suspension
ABS
Electrical systems
Steering
Control arm
some kinda joints
Two rims, the front impact one and I guess the rear one also took a huge hit
A tire or two

Total? Over $4,000...

I mean theres more, but this is all I could remember. Man. And this is only a rough estimate. I'll find out more later. Dang, i think back and think. Why didn't I take some pictures. Lol, I had a camara. But at the time that wasn't too important. Im thankful no one else was involved or anything. And that I managed to turn the car sharp enough to avoid those trees. Well, I'll keep ya'll updated. =X
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
JonCo said:
Man, what a weekend. Driving, speeding, down this road going to a friends house and Im not really paying attention and when I do regain my train of thought I almsot miss his entrance to his nieghborhood. Going way to fast and not thinking, I slam on the brakes and take a hard right. Car TCS kicks in, brakes screeching, I slam right into a curb going atleast 60, could be more or less. My eyes really weren't on the speedometer. My eyes were on the palm trees I almost wrap my car around. If I hadn't turned hard enough or woulda been alittle fast I woulda ended up with a few airbags blown and god knows what else.

So yeah, car hits the curb in a sharp turn. Huge bang and I drive the car off to the side. I get down from the car and get past all the smoke from the tires and see my front drivers side tire hitting up against the front of the driver side door, WAY OFF center... huge shreds of tire all over the ground and some still hanging from the front tire(some were like 2ft long and reallyTHICK). I get a closer look at the car and theres really nothing left of the wheelwell. Its all tore up and wedged between the tire and the car. The "chromo-tech" rim is cracked and some pieces of the metal on the floor. The bottom plastic claddin along the doors is bent down cause the tire hit it down and dragged it. Minor body damage. Bassically, the biggest thing I saw was of course the fron axel...

So that was friday. Today I heard what the rough estimate is for repairs and hear what was damaged. Bassically:

Bent/broke the front axel
Something about my driveshaft?
Suspension
ABS
Electrical systems
Steering
Control arm
some kinda joints
Two rims, the front impact one and I guess the rear one also took a huge hit
A tire or two

Total? Over $4,000...

I mean theres more, but this is all I could remember. Man. And this is only a rough estimate. I'll find out more later. Dang, i think back and think. Why didn't I take some pictures. Lol, I had a camara. But at the time that wasn't too important. Im thankful no one else was involved or anything. And that I managed to turn the car sharp enough to avoid those trees. Well, I'll keep ya'll updated. =X
No offense, but thats a prime example why someone your age should not be driving a 2006 vehicle let alone a G6 GT. :rolleyes:
At least their wern't any kids playing along the curb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Well, the G6 GT is a fine teenage car, if you ask me. Enough power, but not enough to be reckless in because it's not fast enough to beat most cars.

Sorry to hear about that, though. We all, no matter what anyone says, have had our moments of not paying attention, we just don't all admit to it.

Let us know how repairs go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
Well, the G6 GT is a fine teenage car, if you ask me. Enough power, but not enough to be reckless in because it's not fast enough to beat most cars.

Sorry to hear about that, though. We all, no matter what anyone says, have had our moments of not paying attention, we just don't all admit to it.

Let us know how repairs go.
hell of a lot faster than the 1980 Olds delta 88 and 1988 Lesabre I had growing up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been driving for 3yrs. Its my first accident. Never gotten a ticket, accident, pulled over or anything before this. Stuff happens, whatcha gonna do? Nothing this coulda happened to anyone.

I had a 2001 Sport Trac before this. Now that was a dangerous car. Anyways, yeah... I'll be posting to telling how things are going.

Yeah the G6 GT isn't exactly the fastest car on the block. Not alot of trouble to be getting into with it. Now if my parents woulda gotten me that 05 Mustang GT like we talked about then... then I would have to agree. But insurance was a prime factor in not getting it. Oh well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
JonCo said:
Been driving for 3yrs. Its my first accident. Never gotten a ticket, accident, pulled over or anything before this. Stuff happens, whatcha gonna do? Nothing this coulda happened to anyone.

I had a 2001 Sport Trac before this. Now that was a dangerous car. Anyways, yeah... I'll be posting to telling how things are going.

Yeah the G6 GT isn't exactly the fastest car on the block. Not alot of trouble to be getting into with it. Now if my parents woulda gotten me that 05 Mustang GT like we talked about then... then I would have to agree. But insurance was a prime factor in not getting it. Oh well
LOL @ coulda happened to anyone. I dont know too many people that would try to turn onto a street at 60mph when they could just drive past and turn around or stop and backup. However that probably isn't a "cool" thing for an 18yr old to do. Was any of this going on? -> :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
My G6 GT went in the shop today to have the front fendor replaced. My daughter was visiting a friend and his mother backed out of the garage and hit it. The repair bill is about $1100. I couldn't get mad at her because she was not even in the car. I think the G6 is a good car for a teenager. It is a good size (not to small or to large). It also has the right amount of power. She loves the color (fusion orange), stereo, and sunroof. I bought it because it was a good value. I paid $16,700 for it as a leftover 2005 after all rebates and $800 in GM rebate points (the car listed for over $25K). I told her it was my car and I would let her use it. I don't know what I was thinking because I rarely use the car and it is pretty much hers. She has been very responsible with the car. I hope she appreciates that most 16 year olds are not given new cars to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope sorry. I dont drink. Not a matter of what was cool, cause even "18 yr olds" dont like to wreck brand new cars. Bad decisions are made by everyone, not meaning mine exactly. Unless your perfect? I mean if you are by all means. Anyways, done with that.

Yeah well Im not to worried about resell value. I was planning on keeping this car around for awhile for shows and what not. I have a cousin-in-law thats interested in tunning it out later in the future. Cars already paid off. But yeah, my parents weren't too mad. I mean things happen, no point in crying over it once its already happen. Anyways makes for a story if anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
This reminds me of one time my girlfriend and I were on a trip to the Stratford Festival. We saw a show and then came back the next day. As we were driving, she was looking for antique shops to shop at. She was driving my car and I noticed a shop on the right hand side.

She made a right turn doing 90km/h onto a dirt road.

My Grand Am actually made the turn, even if we were on the wrong side of the road she turned on to, and almost ended up in the ditch.

The antique shop was closed.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
Well, the G6 GT is a fine teenage car, if you ask me. Enough power, but not enough to be reckless in because it's not fast enough to beat most cars.
The G6 GT will beat almost all 4 cylinder cars and are average when compared to all other V6 mid-size cars.

My Reliant K-car was a POS but it lasted over 200,000 miles before I sold it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
The car really has nothing to do with the accident, i mean, he was going 60 not 130, any car can do 60 right? and secondly, to say an 18 yr old should not have a G6 is ridiculous, I bought mine when I was 17 (I'm 19 now), I earned the money that paid for it, why is that bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
Well, the G6 GT is a fine teenage car, if you ask me. Enough power, but not enough to be reckless in because it's not fast enough to beat most cars.
That's just not good info.

I have yet to run up against a ricer that has given me even a reasonable run, and there's no shortage of them out here - I've lost count. I've embarassed a couple of 3.8L Camaros, a handful of Grand Prix GTs, dozens of "baby" Mustangs (V6's), a 300M, a civilian Crown Victoria, and a slew of V8 pickups that were dumb enough to try (the F150 drivers seem to have the biggest complex).

The GT has plenty of stones...if you broke it in properly and know how to drive it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Two words: Drive responsibly. Plain & simple. Driving 60mph in (what I presume) a residential area is NOT responsible.

JonCo said:
Stuff happens, whatcha gonna do? Nothing this coulda happened to anyone.
Drive responsibly. Granted occurances like this happens in every city & small town probably near everyday (just turn on the local news), sadly to many young drivers. This is why insurance rates are so HIGH for drivers in your age bracket. You really are not invincible - blessed is what you are in this case.
JonCo said:
I had a 2001 Sport Trac before this. Now that was a dangerous car.
My wife drives a 2001 Sport Trac - it is NOT a dangerous vehicle. If it was for you, then the driver must've been the cause...huh?!
JonCo said:
Yeah the G6 GT isn't exactly the fastest car on the block. Not alot of trouble to be getting into with it.
Except for this happenstance... :rolleyes: I would hope that your stating the G6 not being the fastest car on the block is not from "experience" but rather via research.
JonCo said:
...insurance was a prime factor in not getting it.
Insurance may be a prime factor in whatever you end up getting in the future for quite some time to come. Were police involved even though you (presumably) weren't hurt??? :confused:
JonCo said:
Yeah well Im not to worried about resell value. I was planning on keeping this car around for awhile for shows and what not.
I admire your present stick-to-it-tiveness.
JonCo said:
But yeah, my parents weren't too mad.
None of my affair, but IF you're parents paid for it - that'd be reason enough to be upset. Secondly, appreciate your parents' concern for your safety.
JonCo said:
I mean things happen, no point in crying over it once its already happen.
I hope that your "never say care" attitude (figure of speech), is reflected in a lesson learned as opposed to "oh well".

I don't mean to stand on a soapbox here but, this was a SERIOUS accident. I hope you can appreciate all what has been said in response to your saga. Nothing is more important for the driver to do than to mind the road in front of them. You've got your whole life ahead of you... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
G6~Mike said:
hell of a lot faster than the 1980 Olds delta 88 and 1988 Lesabre I had growing up.

I also had an Olds delta 88 but it was a 1990. It had a V6 so it wasnt a horrible car to drive... not to mention the good HUGE back seast... and all leather... I didnt like the car too much when I was driving but looking back it was a decent car... I was just jealous because all my friends at new acuras, hondas, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
thunkele said:
The car really has nothing to do with the accident, i mean, he was going 60 not 130, any car can do 60 right? and secondly, to say an 18 yr old should not have a G6 is ridiculous, I bought mine when I was 17 (I'm 19 now), I earned the money that paid for it, why is that bad?
Looking back I dont recall saying the car was the cause of the accident. We all know it was the clown behind the wheel that thought he could make a turn going 60 instead of the normal 15-20mph and saying it could happen to anyone (yeah right, thats just stupidity). I still stand behind the comment made that young drivers should not have new vehicles. Most young drivers are irrresponsible, very inexperienced and should be driving 3-4yr old vehicles at best. Like in this case.....parents buy son a nice car, he crashes it by driving careless and says it coulda happened to anyone...thats just shows how irresponsible he is.

my 2 cents.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top