Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A problem here... When I start the car in the morning, and I go from Park to reverse I get a tick/ ting noise. Almost seems like it is metal hitting metal. This only happens in reverse and occasionally. Also when I'm switching from park to reverse, my foot is on the brake the whole time, I feel the transmission change and before I let go of the brakes I hear a tick/tingm so basically my foot is still on the brake when I get the noise. Any ideas what it is? Can it be anything to do with pads hitting the rotor?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay.. i uploaded a video of the G6 making that noise. check the video out..you can hear the sound at 10 seconds.

does anyone know what it can be?

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Maybe its a clock that's lost its Tok?

Seriously though I've no idea. I guess it could be the linkage from the shifter to the transmission, you could check by leaving the engine off but turning the key to acc, keep your foot on the brake and shift as you would, see if the sound happens or not.

If it doesn't happen it's most likely something in the transmission.

Does it whine as it goes down the road?
If the fluid were low in the trans it might not have enough to make it shift easily and hence the tick sound.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I tried leaving the car in ACC and shifting, dont get a noise.
There is no noise when I am driving the car. I dont know if I can check the tranny fluid. The states in the manual, there is no need to check the tranny fluid, if there is a leak then you go get it serviced. I dont see a dipstick, only for the oil I do.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
I know all about the not having a dipstick for the trans. What a stupid thing to leave off a car.

I guess its not as bad as some of the BMW M3's that didn't even have an oil dipstick.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
A problem here... When I start the car in the morning, and I go from Park to reverse I get a tick/ ting noise. Almost seems like it is metal hitting metal. This only happens in reverse and occasionally. Also when I'm switching from park to reverse, my foot is on the brake the whole time, I feel the transmission change and before I let go of the brakes I hear a tick/tingm so basically my foot is still on the brake when I get the noise. Any ideas what it is? Can it be anything to do with pads hitting the rotor?
Can you reproduce it at will? Can you go from park to reverse ten times in a row & make the sound each time? Or just the first time?

Have you tried using a mechanic's stethoscope to try to isolate it? There are cheap ones like this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318908732&sr=8-1[/ame]

& more sophisticated electronic ones with remote-mounted mics. I wonder if autozone loans out a better quality one.

The good news is a single tick is almost always better than a ticking. Have you tried having a trany or brake shop listen to it? The way you described it makes it sound like a trany issue.

Good video quality, btw. I will be very curious what you find out.

You never mentioned your car details esp. which engine & trany you have.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I have the same thing going on. Only occasionaly. If it doesnt happen when shifting, then it happens I accelrate while on a hill. To me it seems like a trans mount issue. I've been hunting it down for months, and still looking. i'll update as i can

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Still does it every so often. Seems if any torque hits the mount from drive to reverse or vice versa it'll make a single click. I haven't been able to track it down but it seems like an engine or trans mount somewhere

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am experiencing the same noise heard in the video above. For the past year it has been subtle and occasional, mostly shifting from reverse to 1st once-in-a-while from 1st to 2nd (I have manual tranny). But the sound is becoming more frequent and noticeable. Taking to GM dealership Tue. I'll let y'all know what they say.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Seems like it could be that cradle mount. Too bad that any tweaks in that would require an alignment. But worth checking out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I am back from the dealership and have some answers... hopefully. After waiting one hour at a Cadillac dealership they handed my keys back to me and said you're free to leave. Apparently I had a loose transmission housing and the mechanic tightened it up and "torqued on it pretty good". My visit started with me driving the mechanic around the parking lot to reproduce the sound. Which was easy because my car was making the exact same noise as the red car in the above video, just more frequently. I still have approximately 2 months left on the GM Powertrain Warranty, so the repairs were done at no cost to me. After a few days of driving at speeds between 0-70 mph and various accelerations I have not heard the sound. I should mention that I have the 3.9L engine with the 6 speed manual transmission. I hope this information helps others experiencing this problem, I asked the mechanic if my engine mount were broken, and they weren't, so I don't think that would be the source of such noises. After hearing the noise but before he fixed it he thought it might be axle related so there could be some validity to that theory. Good luck ya'll!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Great news, thanks. I'm going to see if I can do this myself this weekend.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts