Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
So this problem is common to most G6's and the only solution is a temporary fix at best. Perhaps that means ALL G6's are lemons.

Sorry for being so negative. Its just that I bought the car 3 days ago and I've already experienced one issue with my starter and countless pops and rattles from the steering. I'm really not happy with my purchase. Good thing I'm only going to be paying for it for the next 5 years!

·
^I R CUSTOM^
77 Posts
Dont worry, we feel your pain, but like i mentioned in another thread, these problems (in the scheme of things) is relatively minor - the engine and tranny are damn near bulletproof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lube kit ?

Hi there, As with most of you guys on here as I have the same knocking noise in the front so I took in to the garage (Not the dealer) and they told me that I needed to replace my ball joints as they were almost out of lube. The 2005 and 2006 G6 don't have the lube kits. Does anyone know if I can just buy the lube kit and not replace my ball joints?

Maybe someone could fill a complaint here : http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/gm/pontiac_g6.htm

This is for USA residents, I can't fill out the form as I'm from Canada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this problem is common to most G6's and the only solution is a temporary fix at best. Perhaps that means ALL G6's are lemons.

Sorry for being so negative. Its just that I bought the car 3 days ago and I've already experienced one issue with my starter and countless pops and rattles from the steering. I'm really not happy with my purchase. Good thing I'm only going to be paying for it for the next 5 years!
Well I hate to hear your seemingly bad luck. Not YOUR bad entirely though since the dealership kinda knew about the problem. Sounds to me like they just put the problem off on the buyer. But don't go kickin' yourelf in the a$$ too much-From what I understand you have 72 hours after you purchased the vehicle to break a contract. I would've done that-from what I understand that is with any lender-Not a 100% sure though. But if that time has already lapsed you'll have to take the noises that comes along with the wonderful G6-AND the aggrevation of taking it to get worked on. Trust me I know....

My '07 a few months ago just started making a low roaring sound in the left front end. My body shop guy that I'm friends with told to have it checked out. Your car should still be under factory warranty through GM-I'd look into that. Although you just bought it-you might wanna go ahead and call a authorized local GM and check into it.
I unfortunately have to send my car back over with the popping and 'now' roaring in my front end. Trust me its very annoying. I've dealt with the lousiest dealer I think around. I've had my rotors turned before 20k and a set of brakes, I've also had a right tire replaced. So my newest purchased has been alot of disappointments-I probably won't buy another thats for sure. It is nerve rackin' to-to think you will be using this car for the next couple of years -- and just buying it (IM sure) makes you cringe in the thought of paying for something that initially had problems..
~Best of luck with you though -- keep us posted on what you find out~

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haven't checked in here in a while, sorry....

I posted in this thread on page 1 (I think) about this problem. I took it in at 37K, told the dealer I'd heard about a widespread problem with this pop, they said they'd take a look at the TSBs and see what they could do.

Called me back, told me there was a TSB for the steering but that my "pop" was steering column related, and that I was getting a new steering column, and that the dealer and GM were going to take care of the bill. I couldn't tell if the column is new or not (I know the steering wheel itself is original) but the noise went away, until recently. I'm now at 45K on the car, so best I can tell, whatever they did, only lasted about 9K miles. Cause for concern.

Sounds like I need to pay the dealer another visit.

·
^I R CUSTOM^
77 Posts
I filled out a form for the Lemon Law attorneys. This problem is widespread and needs to be a full on RECALL and not a TSB...my car is at 45K and over the regular factory warranty and I should NOT have to keep paying for the same problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The sunroof Leak you mentioned? What did it take to fix it? I noticed wet seatbelts a couple of times, and figured it had to be a leaking sunroof.

Thanks

·
^I R CUSTOM^
77 Posts
I just bought the "Sway Bar Link Kits" and had them replaced on both sides and it feels a lot better $65 for the parts and $45 for the repair, I have 65k miles on my car.
That kit doesn't sound familiar....explain what that kit does please. It sounds obvious, but I just want to hear exactly what it does please. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That kit doesn't sound familiar....explain what that kit does please. It sounds obvious, but I just want to hear exactly what it does please. Thanks.

If you go to Rockauto.com you can find the kit, my mechanic said he sees this problem all the time. I have no idea what the kit does, but it does make the noise go away :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
After several phone calls and plenty of run-around from the dealership where I bought my car, Im finally making some progress. Selling dealer is going to send me a check for half the price of the repair (after getting a quote from my local dealer's service department). It's not what I wanted (which was to have them buy the car back and get me out of this mess all together) but its a start.

Now guess what... the replacement steering shaft is on back-order. I guess GM had so much faith in their design that they didn't produce enough parts to meet the demand for replacements. So I've had the car for just over a week now... still no repair in sight but at least I got some answers.

PS... That rocketauto site is useless. Its not a parts dealer. Just a redirect site with links to other sites that actually sell the parts. I clicked on a few links and got lots of pop-ups but no real answers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After several phone calls and plenty of run-around from the dealership where I bought my car, Im finally making some progress. Selling dealer is going to send me a check for half the price of the repair (after getting a quote from my local dealer's service department). It's not what I wanted (which was to have them buy the car back and get me out of this mess all together) but its a start.

Now guess what... the replacement steering shaft is on back-order. I guess GM had so much faith in their design that they didn't produce enough parts to meet the demand for replacements. So I've had the car for just over a week now... still no repair in sight but at least I got some answers.

PS... That rocketauto site is useless. Its not a parts dealer. Just a redirect site with links to other sites that actually sell the parts. I clicked on a few links and got lots of pop-ups but no real answers.

You should have tried Rockauto.com ;)

·
^I R CUSTOM^
77 Posts
I just ordered the kit and will be putting it on when I get it. I hope this stops the problem forever, not just temporarily...

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 06 had the popping noise you all speak of when I bought it. It came and went so I didn't worry about it much because after all, its a Pontiac, and they make all sorts of noises :)
Anyways, at about 60k miles I decided to look into the cause. I pulled the steering shaft off the rack and lubed the telescoping shaft, problem solved. I have had no popping on takeoff or binding while coming out of a sharp low speed turn. I work on heavy equipment from time to time and this kind of thing is pretty normal for tight bending universal shafts.

If you're looking to lube your own, just pull the front driverside wheel off and remove the bolt that holds the Ujoint onto the rack. This bolt is very tight! Spray a little WD40 on things and work the Ujoint off the stub sticking out of the rack. Once you have it off, you will figure things out from there.

Putting things back together is easy since the Ujoint can only go back on the same way it came off, so no worries about alignment.

Mike

·
Registered
199 Posts
My O6 also had pop sound in the steering. Fixed with lubrication. There is also a GM service bulliten on this which replaces the steering shaft. Also have a rattle over bumps at low speeds, more so when cold so they replaced the shaft. Pop is still fixed but rattle is still there. Make sure you buy extended warranty before your 60 k is up. Any similar front end rattles?
I too have a rattle when going over anything that isn't smooth as glass. I have been looking into the cause for some time. I tied down my coolant expansion tank thinking that was the cause but no luck. Now I think it MAY be the ABS distribution block rattling on the mouting bracket which is fixed to the firewall.
My car has had this problem since birth and i'm hoping to have it fixed before I pay it off :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
creaking noise? is it while stopping? how many miles on your car? could be lower control arm bushings, probably the rear most bushing. worn or cracked bushing, or like the cts's have worn rubber scraping against the bushing's washer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
creaking noise? is it while stopping? how many miles on your car? could be lower control arm bushings, probably the rear most bushing. worn or cracked bushing, or like the cts's have worn rubber scraping against the bushing's washer.
I hear it when I take off, when I'm pulling in and out of my driveway, going over speed bumps and when I make hard turns.....

I'm going to have my outer tie rods replaced on Tuesday but my mechanic isn't very hopeful.

The car has 66,666 miles :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is going to sound crazy......

After replacing the sway bar links, intermediate shaft/steering shaft and outer tie rods replaced that car was still making noise....:mad:

I didn't notice a difference after the sway bar links were installed but my mechanic said they had too much play, after the steering shaft the steering felt a bit more :tight" and the intermittent popping sound has gone away, I didn't notice a difference with the out tie rods but I guess that's routine wear and tear.

My mechanic asked me if I drive on dirt roads very often and I did but I don't anymore..... I washed my car over the weekend and for the first time I sprayed out the engine compartment.... and the noise is gone :eek::cool::D it's only been a few days but this is best best it's been in 6+ months.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts