Pontiac G6 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey like everyone else my 07 was doing that to i took it to the shop they lubed it but it came back so im not sure whats the deal thats when it was under warranty. im just dealing with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front End Noise Everyone has

The noise in the front end is that your Ball Joints are shot. I had the same prob since I bought it new in '05 and thought it was just a normal noise (driving on horrible streets). All fixed, $1000 later, no more noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front end popping noise

I have a 2006 G6 and have had the popping noise in front end when making left turns. The dealer has replaced the rack and pinion twice for me at no charge, explaining that GM is aware of this problem but has not come up with a reason for the problem. Last time I had it replaced was about 8 months ago and no problems since. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We just picked up a loaded g6 gt this weekend (125k miles but one owner well maintained). The only issue with the car is a pop/clunk in the front end. It sounds just like what everyone here is describing, but it also is very noticeable when the car is not moving and you turn the steering wheel back/forth (it has a small clunk when you transition from one direction to the other). I’m thinking this might be tie rods or the rack itself since its so noticeable, or maybe because it had been there so long its progressed from the intermediate shaft to something worse. I guess I need to get under the car and check it out. I do all of my own maintenance so hopefully this won’t be a nightmare :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a friend with the same pop sound coming from the front end of her car. I tried lubing the intermediate shaft but no luck it is still popping on occasion.
I looked on the RockAuto site and saw they have a steering rack with tie rod ends for about $270 less $100 core charge. Anyone try this solution? Also does anyone have the instructions on how to install and how long it shuld take?
I have done brakes, struts CV boots etc... before so I think I can take on the rack replacement, unless I have to drop the engine or something.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Steering popping noise fix

Lubricating the intermediate steering shaft will take away the popping noise in the steering although it might not be a permanent fix even though this is what the dealer will do. Easy to do yourself, remove the bottom dash panel from under the steering wheel. You will see a short shft going into a coupling or collar. Above that will be another coupling coming from the steering wheel, on this coupling there is a bolt, loosen this bolt, push the intermediate shaft down, push the top coupling out of your way and pull up on the intermed. shaft, mine would not come all the way out, coat it with grease, push back down, then up and re-grease a few times, then re-assemble. Adding a grease fitting might be a the best long term thing as this process will need to be done again. The lubbing fixed my 05 GT for now. Took me less than 30 mins to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone.

I just purchased a used 2006 G6 and I've been having the "pop" "thump" when accelerating at a slow speed as well. I had it in the shop today and they jus called to say they lubed it and it is NOT a safety issue. However, the "pop" "thump" is still there.
Thanks to finding this forum, I am printing these pages off and also taking them to the dealership when I pick my car up.
Hopefully, they can see this is an issue and look further into the problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same issue. all same symptoms just not looking forward to the repairs, Mine is an 05 sedan, V6. I just bought the car a little over a month ago (moron backed into me in less than a week of having it, in the shop finally now to be fixed - but another story) and the noise is happening, along with the engin run on after starting, my issue is that the car has over 65k km's on it, i purchased an extended warranty on power train only and i dont think it will cover these expenses, but my question is with all the TSBs out for this car and year, will the dealers swallow the costs or is that going to be coming out of my pocket? Place i purchased from has a reputation thats less than favorable but the owner has just about every available dealership in the area making it hard to get a car from anyone but him. So if its the case of me paying for it i just might be SOL. Any help on this one would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So... After reading this thread, I'm actually not sure what to do besides bringing the G6 into a dealer about the pop noise that i get on acceleration... Its a faint pop that seems to come from the driver side somewhere just like everyone's explained...

The car's out of warranty, but only has 18k miles on it (my wife's had the car for 4 years but doesn't put many miles on it...)

So - the question is, what exactly do I look for/assume this is?

and question #2 - Am I correct to assume that its not much of a safety/performance issue? Because nothing actually seems wrong with the car -- just the faint pop on acceleration...

Point is that I'll probably just let it go until it gets too loud/annoying/safety could be compromised?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
A lot of folks have it fixed, my G6's popping noise never got any louder than the first time I heard it so I still have the noise. If it ever gets worse I'm having it replace/fixed but for now I can live with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Okay. I started this thread nearly 2 years ago :) And I have a follow up. I took my '07 to the dealership, because my A/C stopped working and the headlight bulb connector had melted (?? weird). Annnyways... I had them also look at the intermediate shaft again. They called me back and said "the intermediate shaft is coming apart" and "is unsafe to drive" so it "must be replaced". Apparently there is a new, redesigned, heavy-duty intermediate shaft that is the new fix for this issue and according to the service manager "none of them have come back yet". So, they wanted me to pay for the repairs to the intermediate shaft. After calling GM and chewing them out for a car that is one of the most shoddy vehicles I've ever own and complaining about the intermediate shaft, I got a favorable response. The dealership changed their tune and said they'd perform the fix for "goodwill" because I had brought it in earlier for the issue and wasn't properly fixed. (Yes, my bump-to-bumper warranty is out due to milage). I'm please to state that I've been driving it for a few days now and it feels like a completely different car. I never realized how bad the drive-ability was because it had always had issues. Now the steering is tight, takes bumps on the road with far less feedback and no more popping in the front end while maneuvering at low speeds.

Also, the A/C problem was due to a hose breaking. Seems odd for such a young car.

I'm happy this turned out 'okay' FINALLY, but I have to say, I'm disappointed with this car. So many other small issues that come up within the first year of ownership... vanity mirrors breaking, air vent 'shutters' breaking, the paint coming off the radio power knob, coating coming off the steering wheel. And, I actually take very good car of this car, as I do with all my vehicles. Definitely low build quality and materials.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just took mine this morning. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and when our temps in Oklahoma dropped down to the 50s a couple weeks ago, the noise came back with a vengeance. The dealership replaced the intermediate shaft.

I just got the car back this morning and drove straight to work so I haven't time to really check for the clunking sounds. But, from the driving and parking I've done so far, it sounded good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took my '07 G6 (25k miles) to the dealership last week with the "popping" noise in the steering column when performing slow speed turns. They diagnosed it as a bad intermediate shaft...and of course, had to order a replacement. Haven't taken it back in to have the new i-shaft installed yet. Hopefully this will fix the issue, but I expect the pop to re-appear when the new i-shaft gets some wear (unless the replacement parts have been redesigned.) From other replies I've seen on this thread, it sounds like there may be several potential causes of the noises.

Is anyone else having vibrations when the brakes are applied (especially at high speeds). It feels like the rotors are warped, but they started vibrating with only 20k miles on them...I'm not relpacing rotors every 20k miles!
Yeah really no fix to this POP the way this shaft is designed it's totally binding and I don't think anything they do is gonna fix this issues unless they redesign more but from what I hear the new grease they use will fix this or lessen the noise.. we are not they only ones all the GM mid size cars from malibus and so forth have this same issue.. =(

No one really knows how rotors become warped but it could be a lot on how you drive the vehicle or sticky calipers or rocks stuck in between..
The rotors wouldn't need to be replaced just milled down "CUT" straight again only costs 6 bucks per each or so to do that but have all the slides and bushings checked out while the brakes are off the car could just be a sticky caliper, try not to brake hard in the middle of turns I have a theory that braking while in the middle of turns causes warped rotors I never do it and I never have this issue =)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I just got the pop about 2 weeks ago. Knew I should've crossed my fingers more when I heard of others 05's getting it.:mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
@ sharp g6

My 07 G6 is making the constant driver side popping/thumping sound when driving over rough or even slightly uneven pavement. Quite annoying.

Is this something the dealer will fix? I have taken it into them twice and once they replaced a tie rod end and the other time the intermediate steering shaft. It is still making the same noise but worse. Apparently they just don't want to fix that big of a problem when they don't make much money off of problems under warranty.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts