Pontiac G6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope

anybody ever find a permanent solution???
I have had both struts replaced, the Intermediate steering shaft replaced 4 times, some other stuff as well, but no fix as of yet. Noise ALWAYS comes back sooner or later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi i have 2006 g6 i love my car had it for 4 yrs never had a problem with it till now its make a bucking or thumping when i drive like when goes in to gear it pops took it to auto advance compter check it cam up camshaft sensor thank to you guy i now know therse two sensors i only changed one same problem so if i change the other hopefully this will go away. Took it to them again now comp read pooi4 crank sensor, loose cam or timeing chain play blocked oil appage in the camshaft and oil quality viscosity so?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 2007 G6 (3.5) with 84k. I started hearing the clunk when i accelerate and turn the wheel.

Question to you all, what is the final solution? New I-Shaft, new Rack and Pinion, or do I just lube the i-Shaft and hope I don't have to do it every 6k?

Also, will the dealer cover the costs if there is a TSB for it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup just lube on that joint works great and is easy to stop the popping when you turn. Also, if you have any steering issues with the electric steering, ask your dealer because I got a whole new power steering for free because of a recall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup just lube on that joint works great and is easy to stop the popping when you turn. Also, if you have any steering issues with the electric steering, ask your dealer because I got a whole new power steering for free because of a recall.
So is there a grease fitting on the joint? Just need to pump some lube in there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont thing there is a grease fitting from what i remember but you just have to remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel and put some grease on the joint. Try researching it a little there might be videos or steps to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After taking my 08 G6 77,000 miles to dealer to check intermediate shaft they told me both lower Ball joints are loose. They gave me a estimate of $839 to replace them with alignment. I will do the job myself for $275.00 I will never buy another GM Product again!! It is odd that both need to be replaced at the same time. My other 07 Equinox has had a lot of problems as well and GM has never stood by their product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm out of warranty at 132K miles. Pretty much heard the clunking the whole time i've owned the car (05'), never did anything about it. Now my allignment is WAY off and i'm experiencing what some call the "death wobble" when driving over 50+mph. My mechanic says its the bushings on the steering rack and bushings can't be replaced by themselves, the whole rack needs to be replaced. This year alone I've spent over $1,400 replacing BOTH catalytic converters, and now this? What a nightmare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
got the wobbles.

I installed the Eibach pro kit yesterday and had an alignment done this morning, but i noticed later today that the car wobbles pretty bad if i accelerate very hard. It was fine before the pro kit and it still rolls smooth and fine when im not on the gas. Can someone help? thanks

·
Troy
229 Posts
I also have the same problem. Mechanic couldn't figure anything out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whats up everyone. I just purchased my 08 G6 GT last week and Im noticing that slight clunk when turning the wheel and on take off. Its barely noticeable. Probably unnoticeable with the music/AC on (aside from feeling it in the steering wheel). Is this something that should be looked at/fixed asap or is it just a nuisance thats "inherent to the vehicle"? Also, with seeing how far this thread dates back with the issue, is it a re-call issue? If so, is it a fix regardless if you're in warrant or not?

Not too worried about since I bought a rather extensive warranty on it from the dealer I purchased it through minus a $100 deductible. Just always trying to save a buck or two :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 07 has amost 146,000 on it. Can anyone tell me the cost of intermediate shaft assembly replacement? Also, my car wen crazy tonight... Driving down the road. Computer went from 76% oil life to no life and change oil soon. Temp gauge went through the roof and check engine light is on. Any ideas? Does this car have alot of recalls?

·
Registered
295 Posts
my 07 has amost 146,000 on it. Can anyone tell me the cost of intermediate shaft assembly replacement? Also, my car wen crazy tonight... Driving down the road. Computer went from 76% oil life to no life and change oil soon. Temp gauge went through the roof and check engine light is on. Any ideas? Does this car have alot of recalls?
Hello whiteG6AL,

I apologize for the issues you're having with your G6. I would be glad to research your VIN to check to see if there are any recalls, special coverages or issues that may be related to what you're experiencing. Please PM me your name, last 8-digits of your VIN, and current mileage so I can check.

Also, unfortunately, I do not have dealership pricing for labor and parts. You would have to contact the dealership directly.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service (assisting Louis)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 2008 G6 3 weeks ago. The salesman said he had a mechanic look at it, and said it needs a new intermediary shaft. I checked at another dealer, and they agreed. The original design didn't have a grease seal on the sliding part of the shaft. The new design does, and eliminates the pop. He said you could grease it, but it'd be temporary. I haven't replaced it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a recall for this issue, its the lubrication in the steering column I believe. There are actually 4 different fixes for it, one is lubricate the others get more and more involved. I have the same in my 2007 G6, as it is not a safety issue ive left it alone, it does seem to go away for a while if I release the steering column lock, pull and push the steering wheel a couple of times and lock it back into place but it comes back after a day or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I disconnected the intermediary shaft from the steering wheel. I put lithium grease in the hole at the end of the shaft.(under the hood) I then cut a rubber piece, and stuffed it into the hole. Problem resolved so far...close to 6 months now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had a popping noise/thump in the front end when turning after a stop. They lubbed the i-shaft and issue went away. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wifes cars started like that too! But the end result is your bushings on both lower control arms are wearing or completely worn out. You need to replace them as soon as you can. They are going to get worst and start eating the inside of the left front inside tire tread if you do not change it soon................TM

81 - 100 of 103 Posts