Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I did some searching around online just to see if someone had already reported this or asked about it but I couldn't find anything so here it goes. So whenever I go over the slightest bumps I hear this squeaking, for a while it sounded like it was the door so I brought it to the dealer and they lubricated the weather striping and didnt hear anything...well I still hear it. So I was driving my 6 around today and decided to open the window to see if I could hear it and it is much louder that I thought...sounds like its coming from the suspension.

I just thought that I would post something on here just to see what you guys have to say or had any sugguestions as to what it was. :D

· Administrator
4,330 Posts
I got the same problem...took it to the dealer last week they said it was the rear shock so i replaced it...but no fix still squeaks. I was reading on another forum and one guy said it was his parking break cable. does yours go away when it rains? Im going to try look into it tomorrow (if it stops raining) Ive narrowed it down to the rear passanger side. Ill keep you informed.

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems to do it worse when i've driven the car for a while. Umm never noticed in the rain tho, its jan here so rain is pretty rare until spring. I'm gonna make an appointment with the dealer and tell them i want them to check the suspension, mine sounds like its coming from the front passenger door.

I'll mention the parking break cable. I don't think that i'll let them tell me that its normal for a car to squeak it never squeaked before so if they tell me that i'm gonna speak to a manager.....

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if this would count as rain but it was snowing here today thus making the roads wet and i didn't hear anything the whole car ride??? I can't stand these little squeaks and stuff. I'm the type of car guy that the second he hears some noise wants to know what it is and wants it fixed.

I want to keep this car for a while and enjoy it since they don't make them anymore I don't want to get rid of it and be thinking the whole time thank god I got rid of it.

None the less I will just make an appointment with the dealership to see what they say.

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello:

Where do you find the block heater cord in this car for cold winter days in Canada?
Chances are you may need to go the dealer and get them to route it to the front or they may need to install one. I'm not really sure, I looked around in the manual to see if I could find something but can't. If anyone knows the definite answer to this feel free to correct me on it. Otherwise extrapacker it might be better to call the dealer they will know for sure.

· Administrator
4,330 Posts
So I decided to take off my tire and take a look... I found a clip that holds the parking brake cable and started shaking it and it definitly made a chirping squeaking sound. so i put some grease in between the cable and bracket, now when i shake it it doesnt make a sound. I dont know if this was the squeaking i heard but its a good posibility and I probably wont know until tomorow when the roads are dry. I attached a picture so you guys will know what i'm talking about ill keep you updated.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome find man! If this is what is causing the problem you've solved a mystery for all or most 6ers! haha let me know if you still hear the noise. Was this rear passenger waterfowler??

· Registered
47 Posts
My 09 G6 has a squeak from the front end as well, and I've never been able to get the dealer to find out where. If you're driving on a 'washboard'-type street, it's really noticeable. At this point, I've given up on trying to find out what it is.

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I first thought that It was at the front end too on the passenger side so I opened my driver side window too and it sounded like it was coming from underneath the car. seems like its a pretty hard sound to point in on. Hopefully we can come up with some answers.

· 2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Mine does too. but mine is just one of the springs in my driver seat that squeaks. When my body moves up/down/side/side due to turning or putholes.

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I even checked that too just to see, I determined it was coming from outside of the car when I opened the window and it became louder. ha

· Administrator
4,330 Posts
Was this rear passenger waterfowler??
yeah rear pass side....I drove to work today and noticed that I still have some squeaking but not nearly as much. and now its only when i go over good size bumps...not like before. so today after work I'm going to follow that brake line and see if there is more connections making noise. I really hope this fixes it.

· Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hm yeah keep us posted on if you found any other connections I'm sure there are more...we might be on to something here. Sorry the post before this one was so badly spelled i did it on my blackberry haha

· Registered
12 Posts
Kind of the same problem... but different.

So I've read this forum and I have a 2006 GT Sedan and I'm having a similar problem but it's kind of different.

When I go over a 'washboard' road or a railroad track and especially when I'm driving down my parents rock driveway slowly the steering column knocks and the front suspension is extremely loud going across bumps in the driveway, the tracks, and bumps in the road.

It doesn't do it over "smooth" holes in the rood... such as a dip.. only bumps that make the suspension move... (I.e., small potholes, lines in the pavement due to repaving potholes, etc etc.)

I took it to the dealer numerous times and they "couldn't reproduce the sound"

I bought the car in 2008 with 32k now I have 84K clearly out of warranty, but anyone have any clue what this could be?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.